POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Is there an error with the conic-sweep prisms? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:13:44 EDT (-0400)
  Is there an error with the conic-sweep prisms? (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Stuart Meerkat
Subject: Is there an error with the conic-sweep prisms?
Date: 2 Jul 1999 14:27:42
Message: <377D05F8.1ADC4456@helix.net>
I have a gear creation include file that i'm trying to make do bevel
gears, the trouble is that when ever i make the points for a conic_sweep
prism, they seem to be scaled to be slightly bigger(1.1?) in x/z... this
trouble doesn't exist when i'm making a linear_sweep of the exact same
values... is there some settings or an error that isn't documented? or
does anyone have the scale factor?

If there is alot of interest in this code, i might release it... but i'm
not sure yet...

also... has anybody made a rope include file that can make a sertain
length of rope between two points that are not level?
I have all the math, but can't seem to solve it...
(anybody know how to solve n=sinh(z)/z for z?)

     the Loial Raven, Matthew Peters

Post a reply to this message

> I have a gear creation include file that i'm trying to make do bevel
> gears, the trouble is that when ever i make the points for a conic_sweep
> prism, they seem to be scaled to be slightly bigger(1.1?) in x/z... this
> trouble doesn't exist when i'm making a linear_sweep of the exact same
> values... is there some settings or an error that isn't documented? or
> does anyone have the scale factor?
>
> If there is alot of interest in this code, i might release it... but i'm
> not sure yet...
>
> also... has anybody made a rope include file that can make a sertain
> length of rope between two points that are not level?
> I have all the math, but can't seem to solve it...
> (anybody know how to solve n=sinh(z)/z for z?)
>
>      the Loial Raven, Matthew Peters

Oh... i'm using a friends computer, so don't e-mail to the above address
my address is  Loi### [at] yahoocom

Post a reply to this message

> also... has anybody made a rope include file that can make a sertain
> length of rope between two points that are not level?
> I have all the math, but can't seem to solve it...
> (anybody know how to solve n=sinh(z)/z for z?)
>
>      the Loial Raven, Matthew Peters

I believe there is a rope example that come with Chris Colefax's spline
include file which boasts the ability to make hanging/dropping chains,
ropes, etc.

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/1434/

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

I think that it doesn't have the length variable, instead it has a variable
called a... you need to solve a whole bunch of stuff to get that though...

Ken wrote:

> Stuart Meerkat wrote:
>
> > also... has anybody made a rope include file that can make a sertain
> > length of rope between two points that are not level?
> > I have all the math, but can't seem to solve it...
> > (anybody know how to solve n=sinh(z)/z for z?)
> >
> >      the Loial Raven, Matthew Peters
>
> I believe there is a rope example that come with Chris Colefax's spline
> include file which boasts the ability to make hanging/dropping chains,
> ropes, etc.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/1434/
>
> --
> Ken Tyler
>
> mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

> I have a gear creation include file that i'm trying to make do bevel
> gears, the trouble is that when ever i make the points for a conic_sweep
> prism, they seem to be scaled to be slightly bigger(1.1?) in x/z... this
> trouble doesn't exist when i'm making a linear_sweep of the exact same
> values... is there some settings or an error that isn't documented? or
> does anyone have the scale factor?
>
> If there is alot of interest in this code, i might release it... but i'm
> not sure yet...
>
> also... has anybody made a rope include file that can make a sertain
> length of rope between two points that are not level?
> I have all the math, but can't seem to solve it...
> (anybody know how to solve n=sinh(z)/z for z?)

What size are your gears?  I've just run a quick test using circular
points with a radius of around 1 unit, and both the linear and conic
sweeps are equal sizes in all dimensions.  However, problems with very
small object co-ordinates have been reported in the past...

As for the hanging cable question, I have to admit I've also been unable
to discover the answer (analytically, at least).  Therefore, at the
moment I can see two possible solutions: using approximation to find the
necessary 'droop factor' to give a desired catenary-segment length
(within a certain tolerance) or simulating the cable as a series of
linked springs.

The first option is probably quite feasible under POV-Ray 3.1 - I've
just created macros to reparameterize cubic splines by arc-length
(allowing constant length along the spline path regardless of shape),
and the sampling/interpolation performance seems to be quite acceptable
(and far faster than would have been possible under POV-Ray 3.0).

The second option (similar to the spring simulations described so
excellently by Hugo Elias) would also allow simulating cables with only
one end fixed (swinging pony-tails, etc.), variable masses along the
cable (eg. a necklace with a heavy pendant), and more.

I hope to be testing both methods soon, so that I can release a properly
updated version of my Link include file.  Some have suggested including
this as a feature of the POV-Ray Spline System I am working on at the
moment (so splines could have gravity forces applied to them), and it
might even be an idea to get both methods up and running...

Post a reply to this message