POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Is there an error with the conic-sweep prisms? : Re: Is there an error with the conic-sweep prisms? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:25:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is there an error with the conic-sweep prisms?
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 6 Jul 1999 22:41:48
Message: <3782BE8A.6A06AC2C@geocities.com>
Matthew Peters wrote:

> here is the test that shows the error... please could someone help, i've
> already renamed all my variables and tried almost every aproach i can think
> of... well, there was one thing left that i think might cause it... but i
> have no clue of why sine and cosine would be redefined only when in
> conic_sweep prisms... hmm...

It took a while to 'decode' your code, but I think your problem is a lot
simpler than you think - the height of your prism (fake_th) is greater
than 1, therefore the conic_sweep extends out beyond the linear sweep.
If you replace the fake_th with 1, you'll get prisms of exactly the same
dimensions.  If you want to create bevelled gears, it might be easiest
to create the top bevel prism from -1 to (-1 + bevel_height), and then
translate it up (+y) to sit on top of your linear prism.  The bottom
bevel could be the same object scaled by <1, -1, 1> or created at (1 -
bevel height) to 1, and translated down (-y).