POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : writing new "object type" Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:28:51 EDT (-0400)
   writing new "object type" (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Stewart #7
Subject: writing new "object type"
Date: 22 Jun 1999 11:46:15
Message: <Pine.LNX.3.93.990622104206.17788B-100000@alien.ufo.net>
Well... it looks like most any object could be rendered, using
the available object types... but just in case (!) - how can a new
object type be written ?  ...is this possible without re-writing
the entire program ?

 povray is excellent...and glad to see your newsgroup is accessible.

 stu

Post a reply to this message

if you define it with other ready made objects it's very easy to do

#declare peanut = union {
sphere {.....}
sphere {.......}
}
object {peanut}

Stewart #7 wrote:

>    Well... it looks like most any object could be rendered, using
> the available object types... but just in case (!) - how can a new
> object type be written ?  ...is this possible without re-writing
> the entire program ?
>
>  povray is excellent...and glad to see your newsgroup is accessible.
>
>  stu

Post a reply to this message

Or if you mean a totally different object type... like for example a helical
spiral, you can write macros to automate the process.

--
Lance.

---
The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone
For a totally different experience, visit my Chroma Key Website:
Colorblind - http://listen.to/colorblind
Noah A wrote in message <3770131D.E361FD44@powersurfr.com>...
>if you define it with other ready made objects it's very easy to do
>
>#declare peanut = union {
>sphere {.....}
>sphere {.......}
>}
>object {peanut}
>
>Stewart #7 wrote:
>
>>    Well... it looks like most any object could be rendered, using
>> the available object types... but just in case (!) - how can a new
>> object type be written ?  ...is this possible without re-writing
>> the entire program ?
>>
>>  povray is excellent...and glad to see your newsgroup is accessible.
>>
>>  stu

Post a reply to this message

Or you can use the superpatch which includes isosurface objects that
greatly extend the possibilities.

Or if you like C programming, the source code is available for download,
giving you the chance to have some real fun.  :-)  (this is my favorite)

Or you can write a utility that outputs an appropriate triangle mesh of
your object.

Or...________________ (empty space waiting for good ideas)

-Nathan

Lance Birch wrote:

> Or if you mean a totally different object type... like for example a helical
> spiral, you can write macros to automate the process.
>
> >Stewart #7 wrote:
> >
> >>    Well... it looks like most any object could be rendered, using
> >> the available object types... but just in case (!) - how can a new
> >> object type be written ?  ...is this possible without re-writing
> >> the entire program ?
> >>
> >>  povray is excellent...and glad to see your newsgroup is accessible.
> >>
> >>  stu

Post a reply to this message