POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Text Object Problems Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:18:13 EDT (-0400)
  Text Object Problems (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: ZuluNiner
Subject: Text Object Problems
Date: 5 May 1999 12:22:59
Message: <37306253.0@news.povray.org>
Does anyone know what it is about certain fonts that prevents POV from
reading them properly??

I have a dingbat font that I'm trying to use to create an object (logo) in
an image, and although POV seems to work just fine with the majority of the
fonts on my system, there are a few that POV just can't seem to read.  (I
get boxes instead of the symbol I was expecting when using those fonts.)

Note, no other software I have has problems with these fonts, not even
Moray, which I'm using as a modeler.  The wireframe shows up exactly as I
expected in Moray, but when I render, I get the box instead of the symbol.

Any info appreciated.

--
ZuluNiner
(aka Calin/Runesinger)

Post a reply to this message

> Does anyone know what it is about certain fonts that prevents POV from
> reading them properly??
>
> I have a dingbat font that I'm trying to use to create an object (logo) in
> an image, and although POV seems to work just fine with the majority of the
> fonts on my system, there are a few that POV just can't seem to read.  (I
> get boxes instead of the symbol I was expecting when using those fonts.)
>
> Note, no other software I have has problems with these fonts, not even
> Moray, which I'm using as a modeler.  The wireframe shows up exactly as I
> expected in Moray, but when I render, I get the box instead of the symbol.
>
> Any info appreciated.
>
> --
> ZuluNiner
> (aka Calin/Runesinger)
> ZuluNiner at fuckyou dot co dot uk

  It has mainly to do with the windows version from my understanding and the
amount of work it would take to fix it is more than the team is willing to
put into to it right now. It is mainly fonts that go above the lower 128
characters mark. If you are intent upon using these fonts in pov and don't
mind using a patched version of Pov-Ray there is a patch available that
address the unicode fonts issue.

  Take a look here for more information on the patch and the problems
it was made to fix.

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/4453/unipatch/

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

Thanks for the attempt, Ken.  But All this does is give me error messages
(Wrong editor DLL version.)

And besides, the symbol I'm trying to use in the font in question is mapped
to the character 'h' so it should be affected by this issue.

--

Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message
> ZuluNiner wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know what it is about certain fonts that prevents POV from
> > reading them properly??
> >
> > I have a dingbat font that I'm trying to use to create an object (logo)
in
> > an image, and although POV seems to work just fine with the majority of
the
> > fonts on my system, there are a few that POV just can't seem to read.
(I
> > get boxes instead of the symbol I was expecting when using those fonts.)
> >
> > Note, no other software I have has problems with these fonts, not even
> > Moray, which I'm using as a modeler.  The wireframe shows up exactly as
> > expected in Moray, but when I render, I get the box instead of the
symbol.

> > Any info appreciated.
> >
> > --
> > ZuluNiner
> > (aka Calin/Runesinger)
> > ZuluNiner at fuckyou dot co dot uk
>
>   It has mainly to do with the windows version from my understanding and
the
> amount of work it would take to fix it is more than the team is willing to
> put into to it right now. It is mainly fonts that go above the lower 128
> characters mark. If you are intent upon using these fonts in pov and don't
> mind using a patched version of Pov-Ray there is a patch available that
> address the unicode fonts issue.
>
>   Take a look here for more information on the patch and the problems
> it was made to fix.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/4453/unipatch/
>
> --
> Ken Tyler
>
> mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

Oddly enough, though.  I tried ignoring the errors and running the scene,
anyway, and it rendered properly.

Hmm.

Thanks for the tip.