POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Problem concerning the use of array indices inside functions : Re: Problem concerning the use of array indices inside functions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:33:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem concerning the use of array indices inside functions
From: ABX
Date: 2 May 2003 10:13:41
Message: <plu4bv0oq60qq73fv6d6fj75gbbidtvh4d@4ax.com>
On Fri, 02 May 2003 15:51:59 +0200, Mark Weyer
<wey### [at] informatikuni-freiburgde> wrote:
> I might get killed for proposing something so inefficient

Inefficent indeed. First of all there is a limited number of tokens to be used
in one function. You can split function into subfunctions but number of
constants used in functions is also limited in whole scene. Maps are also
limited in size IIRC, but their number in scenes is not so limited I think.
Moreover evaluation of function even if done with JIT compiler seems not as fast
as precompiled code of map evaluation. But measurement and comparison could be
interesting and (who knows?) perhaps surprised.

ABX