POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Brilliance and radiosity : Re: Brilliance and radiosity Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:30:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brilliance and radiosity
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 21 Apr 2002 18:02:52
Message: <pan.2002.04.21.17.04.56.175809.513@mac.com>
On Sun, 21 Apr 2002 17:11:06 -0500, Rune wrote:

> No wait a minute. The incoming rays do have directions. It's only the
> reflected rays that don't have directions. Thus radiosity samples should
> be adjusted with brilliance depending on the direction of the incoming
> ray. I see no reason whatsoever why it can't be done. Granted, my
> understanding of the radiosity algorithm is limited, but it does already
> shade dependent on the directions, or you would get no shading at all.
> Since it radiosity already supports shading for brilliance 1, I don't
> see why it wouldn't work for other brilliance values.

The direction of the incoming ray doesn't matter. Brilliance only uses
the angle of the light ray to the surface normal, what you would suggest
would make it look like all radiosity lighting was coming from the camera.
You would have to do it for every radiosity ray, using the direction of
the radiosity sample...and I don't know how this would interact with the
interpolation POV uses.

POV-Ray TAG e-mail: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
WWW: http://homepage.mac.com/chrishuff/