POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Brilliance and radiosity : Re: Brilliance and radiosity Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:27:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brilliance and radiosity
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 21 Apr 2002 15:31:23
Message: <pan.2002.04.21.14.33.27.298862.503@mac.com>
On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:42:36 -0500, Kari Kivisalo wrote:

> Is brilliance ignored by radiosity by design? When an object is lit by
> ambient source the shading cannot be altered with brilliance. I would
> seem to be illogical that otherwise equivalent ambient source and light
> source shade an object differently.

I think what is happening is that POV uses radiosity to compute the
ambient light at each point, and ambient light has no direction. POV
can't include the normal in the calculations, because the samples don't
all go in the same direction. And it can't store the directions of each
individual sample ray, that would slow calculations down a *lot* and
use much more memory.

POV-Ray TAG e-mail: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
WWW: http://homepage.mac.com/chrishuff/