POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : format of hf_gray_16 .bmp files? : Re: format of hf_gray_16 .bmp files? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:27:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: format of hf_gray_16 .bmp files?
From: Mike Williams
Date: 8 Jul 2005 00:01:15
Message: <pYrppHAcpfzCFw$t@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Ralph Smith who wrote:

>I've looked into a .tga height field file. It looks like only the red and green
>pixel components are
>used. The blue and alpha components are always 0. So, I guess that I can get a
>16 bit hf_gray_16
>file if I set the red and green bytes between 0 and 0xffff. If so, which is the
>most significant
>byte?

Red is more significant.

Note that it's not sufficient just to produce a rgb TGA file with the
16-bit grey data coded into the R and G components. You also have to
write whatever it is that tells POV to treat it as 16-bit grey,
otherwise POV is going to treat the data as rgb. The POV syntax is the
same for reading the two types of TGA data, so there must be something
in the file itself that distinguishes the two situations.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure