POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Turning squares into a smooth isosurface : Re: Turning squares into a smooth isosurface Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Turning squares into a smooth isosurface
From: ABX
Date: 9 Apr 2003 03:17:51
Message: <oig79v0ogstjpldan48el31la2a9f1ulp3@4ax.com>
On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 17:17:42 -0400, Christopher James Huff
<cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

>In article <8hr59voc6g4am2j1uhcmlti3nffc80pcj1@4ax.com>,
> ABX <abx### [at] abxartpl> wrote:
>
> > Sadly I'm not language expert but I looked into my dictionary and I think used
> > algorithm fits in both.
>
> Proximity
> n. The state or fact of being near or next; nearness.

Arent't near locations only highlighted in
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/22100/150459/proximity.jpg ?

> The proximity pattern uses the minimum or average distance to the
> surface of the object, in other words, nearness.

I know algorithm of your pattern from old MegaPOV but is there any other source
where such implementation of "proximity" exist ? Is "distance" the only
appearance of "proximity"? Can't blur with specified amount/radius builded over
monochrome pattern also mean proximity with clipped values ?

> You can have proximity to flat objects like triangles, or even single points,
> but they have no volume and will be invisible to your function.

IIRC I never stated I made 3D pattern. My intention was to build 2D pattern
builded only for cross-section of object. I never stated my solution was
perfect. I wanted isosurface beveling working on crossection of objects
(http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/24383/ ) so I wanted to obtain 2D
effect similiar to proximity patch using blur until somebody reintroduce your
patch in 3.5. In further changes (which was never released) of this macro I
internally used f_r() function which simply returned distance. And that's why I
refer to it as "proximity/blur". I will try to remember to use this always in
that form in that future.

> > Sorry if it bother you but http://news.povray.org/search/?s=blur does
> > not return as precise answer as I wanted express.
>
> http://news.povray.org/search/?s=proximity only gives something close
> because of the wrong term being used to describe the function.
> http://news.povray.org/povray.text.scene-files/22075/ would be better.

No. Your proposed link is only 1/6 of my intention. 50% of my intention was to
point out that there is a search engine available and 50% was to point out that
there are _3_ threads from me related to the subject.

ABX