POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Mirage : Re: Mirage Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:14:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mirage
From: Peter Popov
Date: 16 Mar 2000 02:51:53
Message: <n5HQOC6KhugVTNYVWcRouktn4iBJ@4ax.com>
On Thu, 16 Mar 2000 13:58:57 +0800, Pabs <pab### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>This seems to be the appropriate group
>
>How would it be possible to create a mirage in any current or old
>version of POV-Ray (I imagine that the interior of an object could
>modify the direction a ray is traced backwards ??)

Refraction is surely one way to do it. Keep in mind that most if not
all types of mirages are caused by the variable ior of hot vs. cold
air, and in POV there's no variable ior. One can however use a distant
transparent plane with refraction and a varying normal to achieve if
not a mirage then at least a heat wave effect. Another idea is to use
the camera ray perturbation feature in POV. One way or the other
you'll have to fake it.

Peter Popov
pet### [at] usanet
ICQ: 15002700