POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : bump maps Server Time
28 Jun 2024 23:38:38 EDT (-0400)
  bump maps (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Stefan
Subject: bump maps
Date: 11 Jun 2002 16:12:19
Message: <f2mcguk72ojr0ac69044j7ugrnffg03skt@4ax.com>
I'm trying to use bump maps on an object. However, I can't seem to get
much relief on the surface of the object. As I understand it a bump
map takes the whiter areas of the map and makes them high and the
blacker areas of the map are made low. Since my test map is a black
square inside a larger white square this should give the greatest
relief. However, this gives a barely perceptible bump on the surface
of the object. I have tried both .TGA and .GIF maps with the same
result.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the relief of the
bump effect?

Thanks,

Stefan

Post a reply to this message

P.S. I tried playing with the bump size. But even setting it to 10000
only provides a slight improvement.

Stefan

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002 16:12:18 -0400, Stefan Sobol <> wrote:

>I'm trying to use bump maps on an object. However, I can't seem to get
>much relief on the surface of the object. As I understand it a bump
>map takes the whiter areas of the map and makes them high and the
>blacker areas of the map are made low. Since my test map is a black
>square inside a larger white square this should give the greatest
>relief. However, this gives a barely perceptible bump on the surface
>of the object. I have tried both .TGA and .GIF maps with the same
>result.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the relief of the
>bump effect?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Stefan

Post a reply to this message