POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : bump maps : RE: bump maps Server Time
1 Jul 2024 03:27:25 EDT (-0400)
  RE: bump maps
From: Txemi Jendrix
Date: 11 Jun 2002 17:13:21
Message: <3d0667f1@news.povray.org>

nhmcgu00lb5kkgt5mukeneqrpum0l4pn61@4ax.com...
> P.S. I tried playing with the bump size. But even setting it to 10000
> only provides a slight improvement.
> >Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the relief of the
> >bump effect?
Hi
I have always felt the same with bump maps. So I tried another way of doing
things, and I think I have the solution.
Sure everybody but you and me know it, but here it is.

I made a plane. In the material's normal statement, I used an image as bump
map (a white square inside a black square).
I added a bump size of 2. I added a transformation to the normal statement
in this way:
Scale <2,2,1> and translate <-1,-1,0> to center the map.
If you render this image the bump is almost invisible.
Why not use another way to get the desired effect?
Sure, in the transformation in the normal statement I changed  scale <2,2,1>
with <2,2,10>.
If you render this image, the bump is evident.

Hope it helps

Txemi Jendrix
tji### [at] euskalnetnet
http://www.geocities.com/txemijendrix