POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : bump maps : bump maps Server Time
1 Jul 2024 02:39:18 EDT (-0400)
  bump maps
From: Stefan
Date: 11 Jun 2002 16:12:19
Message: <f2mcguk72ojr0ac69044j7ugrnffg03skt@4ax.com>
I'm trying to use bump maps on an object. However, I can't seem to get
much relief on the surface of the object. As I understand it a bump
map takes the whiter areas of the map and makes them high and the
blacker areas of the map are made low. Since my test map is a black
square inside a larger white square this should give the greatest
relief. However, this gives a barely perceptible bump on the surface
of the object. I have tried both .TGA and .GIF maps with the same
result.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the relief of the
bump effect?

Thanks,

Stefan