POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Ear Server Time
18 May 2024 17:13:10 EDT (-0400)
  Ear (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Steve Shelby
Subject: Ear
Date: 29 Feb 2004 08:52:55
Message: <4041eeb7$1@news.povray.org>
"Lutz Kretzschmar" <lut### [at] stmuccom> wrote in message
> Cool stuff. Can you post a screenshot of the control mesh, i.e with
> subdivisions turned off?

Thank you. I posted two screenshots in moray binaries.
I could also send the .mdl file if you'd like.

> Also, I'd be interested in what sort of features you might be missing
> in the editor that would increase efficiency/productivity....

Glad you asked. ;^}> There are a few things I've thought would be helpful;
I'm not sure how realistic any of them are.
1. A way to change the color of parts of the mesh at will in order to better
keep  track of which points are which.
2. A way to make parts of the mesh "off limits" so that it would be easier
to select only the points you want to select, without accidentally selecting
ones you don't want selected.
3. The ability to add a point to an edge. The way it works now, when you
divide an edge, it adds edges where they are not wanted, dividing faces
diagonally, which then have to be found and merged, taking a lot of extra
time.
4. A way to divide a face diagonally without having to first delete the
face, select three points, create face, select the other three points, and
create face. Like maybe selecting two points and "split face".

That's all I can think of for now. I hope that it can be of some use.

Steve Shelby

Post a reply to this message

Thank you. I sent two screenshots to moray.binaries, and a reply to
moray.win.
Steve Shelby

"Lutz Kretzschmar" <lut### [at] stmuccom> wrote in message
> Cool stuff. Can you post a screenshot of the control mesh, i.e with
> subdivisions turned off?
>
> Also, I'd be interested in what sort of features you might be missing
> in the editor that would increase efficiency/productivity....
>
> Follow-ups to moray.win....
>
> - Lutz
>   email : lut### [at] stmuccom
>   Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

Hi Steve Shelby, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> Thank you. I posted two screenshots in moray binaries.
Cool, thanks. Great work.

> 3. The ability to add a point to an edge. The way it works now, when you
> divide an edge, it adds edges where they are not wanted, dividing faces
> diagonally, which then have to be found and merged, taking a lot of extra
> time.
Well, there is no way to divide an edge any other way. And the only
way you can merge faces again, is if you divide the edge on the
opposite side of the quad. I've tried to come up with a different
soultion, but I can't.

> 4. A way to divide a face diagonally without having to first delete the
> face, select three points, create face, select the other three points, and
> create face. Like maybe selecting two points and "split face".
So you want to split a quad into two triangles?

Thanks for the feedback.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Steve Shelby
Date: 1 Mar 2004 16:50:36
Message: <4043b02c$1@news.povray.org>
"Lutz Kretzschmar" <lut### [at] stmuccom> wrote in message

> So you want to split a quad into two triangles?

Yes, without having to take so many steps.

> Thanks for the feedback.

You're welcome. :^}>

Steve

Post a reply to this message

From: Bernd Klenk
Date: 2 Mar 2004 04:27:33
Message: <cmj840plq53deigccu95cttav00af2l8di@4ax.com>
On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 08:52:54 -0500, "Steve Shelby"
<ssh### [at] rexnetnet> wrote:

>2. A way to make parts of the mesh "off limits" so that it would be easier
>to select only the points you want to select, without accidentally selecting
>ones you don't want selected.

Last year I had an opportunity to take a look at Maxons C4D(terrible
slow Open GL screen rendering), and saw a nice feature.
In selection-mode you can check a box: "Only select visible elements",
which prevents selecting unwanted points on the back of your mesh.

Really a nice and handy feature!

>4. A way to divide a face diagonally without having to first delete the
>face, select three points, create face, select the other three points, and
>create face. Like maybe selecting two points and "split face".

I still haven't figured out how to split one quad into two quads...
I wish there would be more tutorials for mesh editing, because the
Beta-Helpfile just gives a glimpse of how it has to be done.

@Lutz:
Just don't forget your promise to make meshpoint-selections persistent
when switching between EDIT and MODIFY ;-)

--
Bernd

Post a reply to this message

From: Marc Jacquier
Date: 3 Mar 2004 03:04:17
Message: <40459181@news.povray.org>
> "Lutz Kretzschmar" <lut### [at] stmuccom> wrote in message
> > Also, I'd be interested in what sort of features you might be missing
> > in the editor that would increase efficiency/productivity....

While you ask the question :-)
I'd like to be able to translate rotation axix in points mode at least.
sometimes having rotation around the center of the  selected points makes a
mess.
Well I know we can rotate then translate points but ...

Thanks  for your work

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Steve Shelby
Date: 3 Mar 2004 12:33:11
Message: <404616d7$1@news.povray.org>
I'll second that! That is one of the things that has bothered me from the
start, but I forgot to mention it in my reply to Lutz.
Steve Shelby