POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Import 3ds -> mesh question Server Time
17 Jun 2024 00:53:24 EDT (-0400)
  Import 3ds -> mesh question (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Kman
Subject: Import 3ds -> mesh question
Date: 18 Jul 2003 09:54:03
Message: <3f17fbfb$1@news.povray.org>
All,

What's the trick to importing a 3ds model (say with 3dwin) and then being
able to convert the udo to a mesh, again? I'd read it somewhere in this
group, but can't find it anywhere. All my imports leave the convert to mesh
button greyed out. (I'm using 3.5RC2.)

Also, are there any advantages (ie better quality models) when using obj or
any other format over 3ds format? Thots?

-Kman

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:54:03 -0500, "Kman" <mzu### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

>All,
>
>What's the trick to importing a 3ds model (say with 3dwin) and then being
>able to convert the udo to a mesh, again? I'd read it somewhere in this
>group, but can't find it anywhere. All my imports leave the convert to mesh
>button greyed out. (I'm using 3.5RC2.)
>
>Also, are there any advantages (ie better quality models) when using obj or
>any other format over 3ds format? Thots?
>
>-Kman

There are two ways to do this that I have found.

1.	Convert the 3DS file into a RAW file with 3DWin then in Moray (if you
have the 3DWin plugin);
File > Import >3DWin Special
Import the RAW file then convert to Mesh

2.	Convert/export the file to an Alias Wavefront *.obj file theb convert
the *.obj file to a UDO using PoseRay.
This will convert to Mesh.

The second method is the one I prefer.

I use OBJ because I like the way PoseRay converts the materials from Poser 4
also my copy of Poser does not produce 3DS files that the current 3DWin reads.
I've not noticed any difference in model quality, but then I've not looked.

Regards
        Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Kman
Date: 18 Jul 2003 12:37:47
Message: <3f18225b$1@news.povray.org>
"Kman" <mzu### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> All,
>
> What's the trick to importing a 3ds model (say with 3dwin) and then being
> able to convert the udo to a mesh, again? I'd read it somewhere in this
> group, but can't find it anywhere. All my imports leave the convert to
mesh
> button greyed out. (I'm using 3.5RC2.)

I found the thread over in the beta group... sorry... something to do with
3dwin.

-Kman

Post a reply to this message

From: Kman
Date: 18 Jul 2003 12:38:57
Message: <3f1822a1$1@news.povray.org>
<mca### [at] aolcom (S McAvoy)> wrote in message
> There are two ways to do this that I have found.
>
> 1. Convert the 3DS file into a RAW file with 3DWin then in Moray (if you
> have the 3DWin plugin);
> File > Import >3DWin Special
> Import the RAW file then convert to Mesh
>
> 2. Convert/export the file to an Alias Wavefront *.obj file theb convert
> the *.obj file to a UDO using PoseRay.
> This will convert to Mesh.
>
> The second method is the one I prefer.
>
> I use OBJ because I like the way PoseRay converts the materials from Poser
4
> also my copy of Poser does not produce 3DS files that the current 3DWin
reads.
> I've not noticed any difference in model quality, but then I've not
looked.

> Regards
>         Stephen

Thanx, Stephen, I'll look into these options...

-Kman

Post a reply to this message

From: Gadman
Date: 19 Jul 2003 06:30:56
Message: <3f191de0@news.povray.org>

3f17fbfb$1@news.povray.org...
> All,
>
> What's the trick to importing a 3ds model (say with 3dwin) and then being
> able to convert the udo to a mesh, again? I'd read it somewhere in this
> group, but can't find it anywhere. All my imports leave the convert to
mesh
> button greyed out. (I'm using 3.5RC2.)
>
> Also, are there any advantages (ie better quality models) when using obj
or
> any other format over 3ds format? Thots?
>
> -Kman

Hi,
Plugin for Moray that provides import of a few standard mesh formats,
noteably: Wavefront obj, 3DStudio. No problem for convert to mesh
http://members.tripod.com/xan-der/bin/MeshObj.zip

@+
Gadman
http://poissonrouge.fr.st
The Bubulle Red
Le site sur les Poissons Rouges: Forum, Chat, Humour...
http://terraquamonstres.free.fr/

sur les poissons
http://moray.free.fr
Moray The French Site (M.T.F.S.)