POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Isosurface questions Server Time
26 Jun 2024 05:34:57 EDT (-0400)
  Isosurface questions (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Steve Shelby
Subject: Isosurface questions
Date: 8 Jan 2003 17:41:00
Message: <3e1ca8fc@news.povray.org>
Hi,
I've been playing with the isosurface plugin, and trying out some things I
found on various websites, most of which were apparently written for
MegaPov, and won't parse in PovRay3.5. The problem is, I havn't a clue how
to change them to work with PovRay3.5. Here's an example:

#declare Cracks = function { pigment{ crackle color_map{ [0 rgb 1][1 rgb
0] }}}
function {(x*x+y*y+z*z-1) +Cracks(x, y, z)*0.5}

Here's what Pov gives me:

   File: isocrackle.pov  Line: 96
      (x*x+y*y+z*z-1) + Cracks( x, y, z )

   } <----ERROR
Parse Error: Expected '.', } found instead
Returned from renderer with error status

That doesn't make any sense to me. There are several others I've tried with
similar results. Does anyone know how to make this work?
Thank you,
Steve Shelby

Post a reply to this message

The example I showed could be misleading, because I had eliminated the "*5"
at the end of the function just to see what would happen. Here's the message
when the function is complete:

  File: isocrackle.pov  Line: 95
   function {

Steve Shelby <ssh### [at] rexnetnet> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I've been playing with the isosurface plugin, and trying out some things I
> found on various websites, most of which were apparently written for
> MegaPov, and won't parse in PovRay3.5. The problem is, I havn't a clue how
> to change them to work with PovRay3.5. Here's an example:
>
> #declare Cracks = function { pigment{ crackle color_map{ [0 rgb 1][1 rgb
> 0] }}}
> function {(x*x+y*y+z*z-1) +Cracks(x, y, z)*0.5}
>
> Here's what Pov gives me:
>
>    File: isocrackle.pov  Line: 96
>       (x*x+y*y+z*z-1) + Cracks( x, y, z )
>
>    } <----ERROR
> Parse Error: Expected '.', } found instead
> Returned from renderer with error status
>
> That doesn't make any sense to me. There are several others I've tried
with
> similar results. Does anyone know how to make this work?
> Thank you,
> Steve Shelby

Post a reply to this message

>The example I showed could be misleading, because I had eliminated the "*5"
>at the end of the function just to see what would happen. Here's the message
>when the function is complete:
>
>  File: isocrackle.pov  Line: 95
>   function {
>
>      (x*x+y*y+z*z-1) + Cracks( x, y, z ) * <----ERROR
>
>Parse Error: Expected '.', * found instead
>Returned from renderer with error status

Consult the POV-Ray 3.5 documentation and also take a look at this website
http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/pov35.htm

     Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

As you use the evaluation of a pigment as a function, you should tell to pov
which color component you want to use:
 (x*x+y*y+z*z-1) + Cracks( x, y, z ).gray*5
That's the "." meaning
see the link given by Thorsen (bottom of the page)
Marc

3e1caaeb@news.povray.org...
> Oops,
> The example I showed could be misleading, because I had eliminated the
"*5"
> at the end of the function just to see what would happen. Here's the
message
> when the function is complete:
>
>   File: isocrackle.pov  Line: 95
>    function {
>
>       (x*x+y*y+z*z-1) + Cracks( x, y, z ) * <----ERROR
>
> Parse Error: Expected '.', * found instead
> Returned from renderer with error status
>

> Steve Shelby <ssh### [at] rexnetnet> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I've been playing with the isosurface plugin, and trying out some things
> > found on various websites, most of which were apparently written for
> > MegaPov, and won't parse in PovRay3.5. The problem is, I havn't a clue
how
> > to change them to work with PovRay3.5. Here's an example:
> >
> > #declare Cracks = function { pigment{ crackle color_map{ [0 rgb 1][1 rgb
> > 0] }}}
> > function {(x*x+y*y+z*z-1) +Cracks(x, y, z)*0.5}
> >
> > Here's what Pov gives me:
> >
> >    File: isocrackle.pov  Line: 96
> >       (x*x+y*y+z*z-1) + Cracks( x, y, z )
> >
> >    } <----ERROR
> > Parse Error: Expected '.', } found instead
> > Returned from renderer with error status
> >
> > That doesn't make any sense to me. There are several others I've tried
> with
> > similar results. Does anyone know how to make this work?
> > Thank you,
> > Steve Shelby

Post a reply to this message

Thank you both for the helpful suggestions. That particular problem is
solved.
Now to tackle "ridges". ;~^}>
Steve

Marc Jacquier <jac### [at] wanadoofr> wrote in message
> As you use the evaluation of a pigment as a function, you should tell to
pov
> which color component you want to use:
>  (x*x+y*y+z*z-1) + Cracks( x, y, z ).gray*5
> That's the "." meaning
> see the link given by Thorsen (bottom of the page)
> Marc

Post a reply to this message

>I've been playing with the isosurface plugin, and trying out some things I
>found on various websites, most of which were apparently written for
>MegaPov, and won't parse in PovRay3.5. The problem is, I havn't a clue how
>to change them to work with PovRay3.5. Here's an example:
>
>#declare Cracks = function { pigment{ crackle color_map{ [0 rgb 1][1 rgb
>0] }}}
>function {(x*x+y*y+z*z-1) +Cracks(x, y, z)*0.5}
>
>Here's what Pov gives me:
>
>   File: isocrackle.pov  Line: 96
>      (x*x+y*y+z*z-1) + Cracks( x, y, z )
>
>   } <----ERROR
>Parse Error: Expected '.', } found instead
>Returned from renderer with error status
>
>That doesn't make any sense to me. There are several others I've tried with
>similar results. Does anyone know how to make this work?

Now that you have found a solution,
you may find it interesting that this
will give the same results:

#include "functions.inc"
#declare CracksFn=function{pattern{crackle}}

function{(x*x+y*y+z*z-1)+(1 - CracksFn(x, y, z))*0.5}

Tor Olav

Post a reply to this message

Thanks. That is a much simpler way to do it.
Steve