POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : archways/curved doorframes Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:28:34 EDT (-0400)
  archways/curved doorframes (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Warheart
Subject: archways/curved doorframes
Date: 25 Oct 2000 01:10:28
Message: <39f66b44@news.povray.org>
Hello all,

         I know this may sound like a simple question, but.... What is a
good way to make a curved doorframe/archway (non 90degree angles) in Moray?
Any help will be much appreciated.

Josh

Post a reply to this message

From: Jamie Davison
Subject: Re: archways/curved doorframes
Date: 25 Oct 2000 13:57:28
Message: <MPG.14612807fb59c71198981d@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 25 Oct 2000 01:05:56 -0400, Warheart wrote...
> Hello all,
>
>          I know this may sound like a simple question, but.... What is a
> good way to make a curved doorframe/archway (non 90degree angles) in Moray?
> Any help will be much appreciated.

The quick answer is CSG.

The long answer is - What exactly is the shape of the frame you want to
make?  As a general case, you can link together cylinders and sections of
tori to make a very basic shape, or you can get much more involved.

Bye for now,
     Jamie.

Post a reply to this message

>On Wed, 25 Oct 2000 01:05:56 -0400, Warheart wrote...
>> Hello all,
>>
>>          I know this may sound like a simple question, but.... What is a
>> good way to make a curved doorframe/archway (non 90degree angles) in
Moray?
>> Any help will be much appreciated.
>
>The quick answer is CSG.
>
>The long answer is - What exactly is the shape of the frame you want to
>make?  As a general case, you can link together cylinders and sections of
>tori to make a very basic shape, or you can get much more involved.

Well, think of what I am trying to make as an upside down U. Plain as that.
Now what is a 'tori' ? Again, sorry for what may come across as a simple
question =)

Josh

Post a reply to this message

> Well, think of what I am trying to make as an upside down U. Plain as that.
> Now what is a 'tori' ? Again, sorry for what may come across as a simple
> question =)

A tori is a torus. You can cut a torus in half using a csg operation.
The remainer is an arch shape. Attach a cylinder to either end and you
have an archway. Kind of primitive but it works.

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:59:33 -0400, "Warheart" <For### [at] itcom> wrote:

>Well, think of what I am trying to make as an upside down U. Plain as that.
>Now what is a 'tori' ? Again, sorry for what may come across as a simple
>question =)

The plural of 'torus.'

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet

> Well, think of what I am trying to make as an upside down U. Plain as that.
> Now what is a 'tori' ? Again, sorry for what may come across as a simple
> question =)
>
> Josh

In that case i'd use a transitional sweep. Maybe you should try it out.

Arne Kleinophorst

Post a reply to this message

>> Well, think of what I am trying to make as an upside down U. Plain as
that.
>> Now what is a 'tori' ? Again, sorry for what may come across as a simple
>> question =)
>
>A tori is a torus. You can cut a torus in half using a csg operation.
>The remainer is an arch shape. Attach a cylinder to either end and you
>have an archway. Kind of primitive but it works.

Well, I have attempted to do this. Now what exactly do I have to do in order
to cut the torus in half? I have attached cylinders to both sides of it and
tried merge, difference, interesection, and union but cant seem to come up
with the desired effect. Thanks in advance for your help!

Josh

Post a reply to this message

you've got to first cut the torus using a box or a plane by
differencing, then add the cylinders to the result using union.  have
you looked at the tutorials in the help file?  they cover how to do this
stuff.

Warheart wrote:

> Ken wrote in message <39F7C559.38C45196@pacbell.net>...
> >

> >Warheart wrote:
> >
> >> Well, think of what I am trying to make as an upside down U. Plain as
> that.
> >> Now what is a 'tori' ? Again, sorry for what may come across as a simple
> >> question =)
> >
> >A tori is a torus. You can cut a torus in half using a csg operation.
> >The remainer is an arch shape. Attach a cylinder to either end and you
> >have an archway. Kind of primitive but it works.
> >

> Well, I have attempted to do this. Now what exactly do I have to do in order
> to cut the torus in half? I have attached cylinders to both sides of it and
> tried merge, difference, interesection, and union but cant seem to come up
> with the desired effect. Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> Josh

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000 11:06:37 -0400, Warheart wrote...
> >> Well, think of what I am trying to make as an upside down U. Plain as
> that.
> >> Now what is a 'tori' ? Again, sorry for what may come across as a simple
> >> question =)
> >
> >A tori is a torus. You can cut a torus in half using a csg operation.
> >The remainer is an arch shape. Attach a cylinder to either end and you
> >have an archway. Kind of primitive but it works.

Tori is how I spell the plural of torus.

It's also (IIRC) the first name of a female musician a friend of mine has
a certain attraction for (Tori Amos)

> Well, I have attempted to do this. Now what exactly do I have to do in order
> to cut the torus in half? I have attached cylinders to both sides of it and
> tried merge, difference, interesection, and union but cant seem to come up
> with the desired effect. Thanks in advance for your help!

Create a torus.

Rotate x=90 (type 90 into the x rotation box in the modify tab)

Translate z=5

Create a Cube.

Scale x=3 and z=2

Translate z=7

Create a CSG (union because all CSG operations start as unions in Moray)

Click Add in the Modify tab.

Add the Torus and Cube.

Select intersection as the Operation type.

Hit evaluate.

Create a cylinder.

Scale it to x=0.5 y=0.5 z=5

Translate it to x=1.5

Make another cylinder

Scale it the same as the last one.

Translate it to x=-1.5

Create another Union, and add the previous union and the two cylinders to
it.

Leave the operation type as Union.

Now, if you select the union, you can move the entire (rather crude)
doorframe around your scene.

Did this make any sense?

Sorry for the delay, but I tend to check my news once a day and read it
offline, then I just drop on quickly to upload any posts.

Bye for now,
     Jamie.