POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : pov to moray conversions: possible? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:24:10 EDT (-0400)
  pov to moray conversions: possible? (Message 13 to 22 of 22)
From: Alex Magidow
Subject: Re: POV-Ray License[Was:Re: pov to moray conversions: possible?]
Date: 19 Mar 2000 11:49:04
Message: <38D505B6.D4A76CE3@mninter.net>
Florian Fischer wrote:

<snip>

> (Disclaimer: I do not want to annoy the POV-Team, in fact I love your
> work very much and I can live very well with the current license. I'm
> just thinking of what could be done using POV-Ray code, such as
> converters, animators, etc.)
> I hope that I've not made me some enemies now.

Actually, Florian, I hear they chase down anyone who makes suggestions,
and force them to watch an animation of a shiny sphere(maybe even
refractive?) flying over a checkerboard<G>(I'm kidding!). No seriously, I
think Florian makes an interesting point. You could, for example, have a
license that forbids use in commercial programs, but allows use in
non-commercial programs. In this case, it would probably be advantageous
to the POV-Ray community as a whole to allow the use of the code, because
there is very little that you can do with POV-Ray's source code that
wouldn't have to do with 3D graphics. In that case, you could use the
POV-Code to make things like DSO's for BMRT, or converter programs, etc.
While I'm not sure this is exactly GPL(I've been reading it for the last
twenty minutes, and I don't think I can get more than two articles of
legal-ese through my head at once) is, the POV-Team could create their own
license with such provisions. But hey, thats up to POV-Team. This
discussion should probably be on a POV license NG, huh? Oops.

--
You Know You've Been Raytracing Too Long When:
 You think it took him six days because he was using Win95

Post a reply to this message