POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Heightfields in Moray Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:15:26 EDT (-0400)
  Heightfields in Moray (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Tommy Grav
Subject: Heightfields in Moray
Date: 14 Mar 2000 13:26:00
Message: <38CE843C.2802C1AF@astro.uio.no>
Hi everybody,

I'm trying to use the height field object in Moray, but I'm having no luck in
getting what I want.
I have created a ghf using the Terrain Maker program, converted this to a
tga-file using
LPaser. I then use the height field object with the tga-file as a source. Using
the read button
the heightfield looks quite good, but when I render it I do not get a result
that looks like the
grid look in Moray. It seems that it just traces the lower portions of the
height field. I'm
using a flat color, so the material should not be the problem.

Can anyone help

--
Tommy Grav
tom### [at] astrouiono     http://www.uio.no/~tommygr/

Post a reply to this message

> I'm trying to use the height field object in Moray, but I'm having no luck in
> getting what I want.
> I have created a ghf using the Terrain Maker program, converted this to a
> tga-file using
> LPaser. I then use the height field object with the tga-file as a source. Using
> the read button
> the heightfield looks quite good, but when I render it I do not get a result
> that looks like the
> grid look in Moray. It seems that it just traces the lower portions of the
> height field. I'm
> using a flat color, so the material should not be the problem.
>
> Can anyone help

More investigation of the problem reveals that the hightfield is as it should be,
so it is the read-button in the height field object that gives something that
appears
to be the opposite of the actuall heightfield (high areas where there should be
low and
low where the high should be). Is this a bug or am I using the heigh field object
wrong?

Thanks in advance

> --
> Tommy Grav
> tom### [at] astrouiono     http://www.uio.no/~tommygr/
> Institute of Astrophysics, UiO, No
> IMTU tn++t4+tg+ ru+ge++ !3i jt+au+st+ls hi++dr-so++zh-sy-sw++

--
Tommy Grav
tom### [at] astrouiono     http://www.uio.no/~tommygr/
Institute of Astrophysics, UiO, No
IMTU tn++t4+tg+ ru+ge++ !3i jt+au+st+ls hi++dr-so++zh-sy-sw++

Post a reply to this message

Rotate your height field object 180 degrees so that it is upside-down.  Then
re-render.

Does that help?

--
Mike

wk: mik### [at] pyxiscom  www.pyxis.com
hm: mwe### [at] sciticom  www.geocities.com/mikepweber

"Tommy Grav" <tom### [at] astrouiono> wrote in message
> Tommy Grav wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I'm trying to use the height field object in Moray, but I'm having no
luck in
> > getting what I want.
> > I have created a ghf using the Terrain Maker program, converted this to
> > tga-file using
> > LPaser. I then use the height field object with the tga-file as a
source. Using
> > the read button
> > the heightfield looks quite good, but when I render it I do not get a
result
> > that looks like the
> > grid look in Moray. It seems that it just traces the lower portions of
the
> > height field. I'm
> > using a flat color, so the material should not be the problem.
> >
> > Can anyone help
> >

> More investigation of the problem reveals that the hightfield is as it
should be,
> so it is the read-button in the height field object that gives something
that
> appears
> to be the opposite of the actuall heightfield (high areas where there
should be
> low and
> low where the high should be). Is this a bug or am I using the heigh field
object
> wrong?
>

> Thanks in advance
>

> > --
> > Tommy Grav
> > tom### [at] astrouiono     http://www.uio.no/~tommygr/
> > Institute of Astrophysics, UiO, No
> > IMTU tn++t4+tg+ ru+ge++ !3i jt+au+st+ls hi++dr-so++zh-sy-sw++
>
> --
> Tommy Grav
> tom### [at] astrouiono     http://www.uio.no/~tommygr/
> Institute of Astrophysics, UiO, No
> IMTU tn++t4+tg+ ru+ge++ !3i jt+au+st+ls hi++dr-so++zh-sy-sw++

Post a reply to this message

I guess he would have to scale it with -1 in the right direction, not
rotate it...

Johannes.

"Mike Weber" <mik### [at] pyxiscom> wrote in message
> Rotate your height field object 180 degrees so that it is upside-down.
Then
> re-render.
>
> Does that help?
>
> --
> Mike
>
> wk: mik### [at] pyxiscom  www.pyxis.com
> hm: mwe### [at] sciticom  www.geocities.com/mikepweber
> www.geocities.com/mikepweber
>
> "Tommy Grav" <tom### [at] astrouiono> wrote in message
> > Tommy Grav wrote:
> >
> > > Hi everybody,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to use the height field object in Moray, but I'm having
no
> luck in
> > > getting what I want.
> > > I have created a ghf using the Terrain Maker program, converted
this to
> > > tga-file using
> > > LPaser. I then use the height field object with the tga-file as a
> source. Using
> > > the read button
> > > the heightfield looks quite good, but when I render it I do not
get a
> result
> > > that looks like the
> > > grid look in Moray. It seems that it just traces the lower
portions of
> the
> > > height field. I'm
> > > using a flat color, so the material should not be the problem.
> > >
> > > Can anyone help
> > >

> > More investigation of the problem reveals that the hightfield is as
it
> should be,
> > so it is the read-button in the height field object that gives
something
> that
> > appears
> > to be the opposite of the actuall heightfield (high areas where
there
> should be
> > low and
> > low where the high should be). Is this a bug or am I using the heigh
field
> object
> > wrong?
> >

> > Thanks in advance
> >

> > > --
> > > Tommy Grav
> > > tom### [at] astrouiono     http://www.uio.no/~tommygr/
> > > Institute of Astrophysics, UiO, No
> > > IMTU tn++t4+tg+ ru+ge++ !3i jt+au+st+ls hi++dr-so++zh-sy-sw++
> >
> > --
> > Tommy Grav
> > tom### [at] astrouiono     http://www.uio.no/~tommygr/
> > Institute of Astrophysics, UiO, No
> > IMTU tn++t4+tg+ ru+ge++ !3i jt+au+st+ls hi++dr-so++zh-sy-sw++

Post a reply to this message

That's what I thought - but the last I worked with HF (today) I tried that
and it change the value to something like 0.000001 - not -1

Hi Tommy Grav, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> More investigation of the problem reveals that the hightfield is as it should be,
Could you zip the TGA and send it to me via email (lut### [at] stmuccom).
I'm not sure why this is happening. Is the bright part of the height
field not elevated in Moray's preview?

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Tommy Grav
Date: 17 Mar 2000 05:32:19
Message: <38D209B8.68A0313@astro.uio.no>
Lutz Kretzschmar wrote:

> Hi Tommy Grav, you recently wrote in moray.win:
>
> > More investigation of the problem reveals that the hightfield is as it should be,
> Could you zip the TGA and send it to me via email (lut### [at] stmuccom).
> I'm not sure why this is happening. Is the bright part of the height
> field not elevated in Moray's preview?

I'll send you the tga-file sometime this weekend. The problem seems to be that Moray
interpets the heightfield inversely from what pov-ray does. Use of the waterlevel
function
confirmes this as it is the lowest parts of the heightfield (from povrays poit of
view) that
are left when I raise the wateerlevel. And yes, I'm currently trying out the preview
of Moray.

Great program by the way (ten thumbs up :-)