POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Does Moray export at all? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:24:43 EDT (-0400)
  Does Moray export at all? (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: Ben Hamatake
Subject: Does Moray export at all?
Date: 28 Jan 2000 00:12:05
Message: <3890C4CF.237A3DC2@trilobyte.net>
I'm sorry to bother everyone again, but is there anyway Moray can export
to ANY other format than POV?  It has an export command in the File
menu, but it's blank.  Thanks.

Ben Hamatake
ben### [at] softhomenet

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Subject: Re: Does Moray export at all?
Date: 28 Jan 2000 04:54:15
Message: <38916715.4552646@194.174.214.110>
Hi Ben Hamatake, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> ... is there anyway Moray can exportto ANY other format than POV?
No, it can't.

> It has an export command in the File menu, but it's blank.
Yes, it's waiting for export plugins that will export to another
format.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Psychomek
Date: 28 Jan 2000 10:11:45
Message: <3891B44C.5270E058@cyberhighway.net>
Lutz Kretzschmar wrote:

> Hi Ben Hamatake, you recently wrote in moray.win:
>
> > ... is there anyway Moray can exportto ANY other format than POV?
> No, it can't.
>
> > It has an export command in the File menu, but it's blank.
> Yes, it's waiting for export plugins that will export to another
> format.
>
> - Lutz
>   email : lut### [at] stmuccom
>   Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

and Well rounded covertion program; Thomas Baier I choose You!

Heheheh   well You Do seem to be the best suited for the job :}

May we See one one Soon!

Psychomek

Post a reply to this message

From: Alex Magidow
Date: 28 Jan 2000 11:37:28
Message: <3891C650.C7441EC6@mninter.net>
Psychomek wrote:

> Lutz Kretzschmar wrote:
>
> > Hi Ben Hamatake, you recently wrote in moray.win:
> >
> > > ... is there anyway Moray can exportto ANY other format than POV?
> > No, it can't.
> >
> > > It has an export command in the File menu, but it's blank.
> > Yes, it's waiting for export plugins that will export to another
> > format.
> >
> > - Lutz
> >   email : lut### [at] stmuccom
> >   Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray
>

> and Well rounded covertion program; Thomas Baier I choose You!

There is a RIB export plugin in beta testing stage. It works really
well(I've some prelim pics if anyone wants to see it), but the UV mapping
on object is a bit screwy(even moreso than in POV-Ray).

> Heheheh   well You Do seem to be the best suited for the job :}
>
> May we See one one Soon!

Actually, that was uncalled for! Sorry, I think have have to shun you
forever now.

--
You Know You've Been Raytracing Too Long When:
 You send multiple images to the IRTC every day, and all of them win.

Post a reply to this message

From: Alexander Enzmann
Date: 28 Jan 2000 11:49:07
Message: <3891CA35.3A54F8D3@mitre.org>
Wait a week or so.  I'm planning to post an exporter for RIB files.
Doesn't handle all prims, nor does it handle textures.  However, for any
astute shader writer, this shouldn't be a problem...

Xander

Ben Hamatake wrote:

> I'm sorry to bother everyone again, but is there anyway Moray can export
> to ANY other format than POV?  It has an export command in the File
> menu, but it's blank.  Thanks.
>
> Ben Hamatake
> ben### [at] softhomenet

Post a reply to this message

From: Steven Durham
Date: 28 Jan 2000 12:47:58
Message: <3891d64e@news.povray.org>
Alexander Enzmann <xan### [at] mitreorg> wrote in message
> Wait a week or so.  I'm planning to post an exporter for RIB files.
> Doesn't handle all prims, nor does it handle textures.  However, for any
> astute shader writer, this shouldn't be a problem...
> AAAAAWWWWW DARN I can barely write e-mail and sometimes that is
unintelligable
Steven

> Xander
>
> Ben Hamatake wrote:
> >
> > I'm sorry to bother everyone again, but is there anyway Moray can export
> > to ANY other format than POV?  It has an export command in the File
> > menu, but it's blank.  Thanks.
> >
> > Ben Hamatake
> > ben### [at] softhomenet

Post a reply to this message

From: Florian Fischer
Date: 28 Jan 2000 13:43:29
Message: <3891E06E.4AADDEA7@gmx.de>
> Wait a week or so.  I'm planning to post an exporter for RIB files.

Do you think that RIB is the right format? I know few about it; yet it
seems that its structure is quite complex.
And it's supported by few programs (not 3dwin, for example, which
makes it unsuitable I think).

If I'm right that RIB is a polygon based format, (i.e. NOT solid
modelling), wouldn't 3DS or Wavefront OBJ (supported by Java3D
directly ;-) ) be a better choice?

I can send you a specification Doc for Wavefront OBJ, which is a quite
simple format, and which I can recommend a lot...

> Doesn't handle all prims,

May I guess... no plugin objects, UDO, infinite objects... just like
PolyRay?

Florian

Post a reply to this message

From: Alex Magidow
Date: 29 Jan 2000 11:54:58
Message: <38931BEB.8B155BCE@mninter.net>
Florian Fischer wrote:

> > Wait a week or so.  I'm planning to post an exporter for RIB files.
>
> Do you think that RIB is the right format? I know few about it; yet it
> seems that its structure is quite complex.
> And it's supported by few programs (not 3dwin, for example, which
> makes it unsuitable I think).
>
> If I'm right that RIB is a polygon based format, (i.e. NOT solid
> modelling), wouldn't 3DS or Wavefront OBJ (supported by Java3D
> directly ;-) ) be a better choice?

Nope, its just your plain old solid modeling program- it has CSGs(even of
triangle and polygon meshes), many primitives(some that even POV-Ray d/n
support), accurate UV mapping, and NURBS(and soon BMRT will support
subdivision surfaces). This file format supports most of POV-Ray's
features, and has more besides. The renderer for it is also amazing, and
free. Anyhow, look on the POV-Ray links site- there is a program called,
IIRC, lily8 which converts RIB files to more easily convertable formats.

From: Ben Hamatake
Date: 29 Jan 2000 12:43:12
Message: <3892C65F.996EFDEB@trilobyte.net>
I don't know if I can wait a week.  I'll explode!!!  But if that's what it
takes.... Please let me know when you have it posted and I'll be the first one
to check it out!  Thanks

Ben

Alexander Enzmann wrote:

> Wait a week or so.  I'm planning to post an exporter for RIB files.
> Doesn't handle all prims, nor does it handle textures.  However, for any
> astute shader writer, this shouldn't be a problem...
>
> Xander
>
> Ben Hamatake wrote:
> >
> > I'm sorry to bother everyone again, but is there anyway Moray can export
> > to ANY other format than POV?  It has an export command in the File
> > menu, but it's blank.  Thanks.
> >
> > Ben Hamatake
> > ben### [at] softhomenet

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas Baier
Date: 30 Jan 2000 03:07:07
Message: <d6s79sgded36953pobsq7dpuv8l6k7tleh@4ax.com>
Hi,

>> Wait a week or so.  I'm planning to post an exporter for RIB files.
>
>Do you think that RIB is the right format? I know few about it; yet it
>seems that its structure is quite complex.
>And it's supported by few programs (not 3dwin, for example, which
>makes it unsuitable I think).

3dto3d V4 beta supports pov export as well rib export including uv,
texture and images. Better than Polytrans !

3DWin V4 will come very soon.

>If I'm right that RIB is a polygon based format, (i.e. NOT solid
>modelling), wouldn't 3DS or Wavefront OBJ (supported by Java3D
>directly ;-) ) be a better choice?
>
>I can send you a specification Doc for Wavefront OBJ, which is a quite
>simple format, and which I can recommend a lot...
>
>> Doesn't handle all prims,
>
>May I guess... no plugin objects, UDO, infinite objects... just like
>PolyRay?
>
>Florian

Thomas Baier