POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : My personal Moray wishlist... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:31:25 EDT (-0400)
  My personal Moray wishlist... (Message 11 to 20 of 22)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: ZEGER KNAEPEN
Subject: Re: My personal Moray wishlist...
Date: 1 Dec 1999 16:58:03
Message: <384599E9.7EEEA31F@student.kuleuven.ac.be>
> I agree that a simnple scripting would be a Good Thing, unfortunately
> it is quite a lot of work (not neccessarily very difficult, but a lot
> of internal shuffling).
> Adding a scripting language like POV-Rays seems rather like doing a
> full circle<g>. Might as well just use POV-Ray! Our concentration is
> on the G in GUI ;-)
Not exactly.  You could make very simple, very fast, very editable and
very interactive (are those the same?) previews with moray of plain
POV-code that way.

> Someone on the Moray SDK mailing list recently started to research the
> possibility of creating a scripting plugin, so there is hope yet<g>.

> - Lutz
>   email : lut### [at] stmuccom
>   Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Simon de Vet
Date: 1 Dec 1999 21:21:49
Message: <3845D7F0.A9A6A9B3@istar.ca>
Gev### [at] jpberlinde wrote:

> -[your features here?]

- Mandel objects... I want to play around with these, but I'm coding impaired.

- Built in blub support.

- Ability to have Moray render from any viewport. Non-perspective viewports
would use the orthographic camera, of course.

- Some kind of graphical method of editing slope maps. I just don't get all the
height/slope entries.

- Ability "comment out" parts of a texture without deleting them. Like the
"export" checkbox for objects.

- More of everything.

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 2 Dec 1999 03:07:05
Message: <38462808.1120170@194.174.214.110>
Hi ZEGER KNAEPEN, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> Not exactly.  You could make very simple, very fast, very editable and
> very interactive (are those the same?) previews with moray of plain
> POV-code that way.
I disagree. POV-Ray takes more than a second to parse a scene and the
langauge is so liberal that it is very difficult to write a 100%
compatible parser (you're not allowed to use the POV-Ray source code,
remember). And if you don't make a 100% compatible parser, then you
have exactly the same discussion as we are having about Moray<g>.

I wonder why noone has written a patch for POV-Ray that does this
simple preview if it so easy.
- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 2 Dec 1999 04:50:17
Message: <384640d9@news.povray.org>
Lutz Kretzschmar <lut### [at] stmuccom> wrote:
: Adding a scripting language like POV-Rays seems rather like doing a
: full circle<g>. Might as well just use POV-Ray!

  Not really. Just imagine how the wire mesh changes in real time when you
make a change in the script... That would be cool.

  Of course there's one problem: If an object (or a series of them) is
created with a script, can you modify it in the modeller with the mouse?

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 2 Dec 1999 05:57:00
Message: <38465056.11438027@194.174.214.110>
Hi Nieminen Juha, you recently wrote in moray.win:

>   Of course there's one problem: If an object (or a series of them) is
> created with a script, can you modify it in the modeller with the mouse?
I would think that the script is something that would run once and
create objects in Moray. The script is then done and all other
processing is done with Moray.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Rick
Date: 2 Dec 1999 11:40:23
Message: <3846a0f7@news.povray.org>
> - Built in blub support.

i also would like blub support, nothing worse than free swing blub

Rick

Post a reply to this message

From: Nathan J  Smith
Date: 3 Dec 1999 03:25:34
Message: <38477F64.69661DB5@ilstu.edu>
I would like to see the ability to dynamicly include objects from other
.mdl files.  This would be a huge help.  Instead of actually having to
place every object in one file, you could have many files each with an
object in it.  I do this now, but when I want to render an entire scene
I have to copy the newest version of an object out of its file (or do a
file merge, is what its called I believe) and translate it to fit in its
new place in the combined scene.

Programs such as PageMaker do this already.  If you update a graphic,
the graphic is then updated in all documents that it is placed in.

Nathan

Post a reply to this message

From: Rick
Date: 3 Dec 1999 17:25:50
Message: <3848436e@news.povray.org>
Nathan J. Smith <njs### [at] ilstuedu> wrote in message
> I would like to see the ability to dynamicly include objects from other
> .mdl files.  This would be a huge help.  Instead of actually having to
> place every object in one file, you could have many files each with an
> object in it.  I do this now, but when I want to render an entire scene
> I have to copy the newest version of an object out of its file (or do a
> file merge, is what its called I believe) and translate it to fit in its
> new place in the combined scene.
>
> Programs such as PageMaker do this already.  If you update a graphic,
> the graphic is then updated in all documents that it is placed in.

I dont know i would like this, i have a small libray of common objects, and
often have to tweak then as and when required

Rick

Post a reply to this message

From: Charles Fusner
Date: 4 Dec 1999 20:39:40
Message: <3849C00F.597F81EF@enter.net>
Lutz Kretzschmar wrote:
> Yes, this is not a optimal solution and one of the things we have
> planned for a later version (not the next one) is a normal layer
> system as many other packages have them.

This is a very encouraging way to go. I think it will be a most
helpful change in the long run! :)

--
As long as this is just a general wish list, I'd like to add one
thing to it myself (hopefully I'm not just repeating something

I like to better organize my projects by keeping all files related
to a particular project in one directory together. This makes it
easier to work with, share, and ultimately archive and backup a
given project. The current way, after just so many projects, I
find my directories got so full of files, I no longer remember
what pieces go with what projects.

Currently I follow a sort of pseudo-IDE approach by setting
up a central "\Projects" directory, under which is a separate
directory for each project. When I'm ready to switch to a new
project, I make its directory, then set POV code to export there,
then finally use regedit to alter all the search paths in the
registry, (I prefer to keep the search paths neat so I don't
keep getting prompted over and over when multiple files of the
same name show up in different projects) All this works well
enough, but as you can imagine, makes changing projects kind
of involved.

I'd like to see a \Projects subdirectory added to the Moray
directory, and support for automatic path/export switching added.
Perhaps a separate file/registry entry would track projects as you
create them, and to set up for a project, you would choose
"File | Open Project" and type in the name of the project. All
paths would be adjusted for you and you'd then be prompted to
select a MDL file from the appropriate directory (oh, yes, I
should mention I usually create each piece of my scene in a
separate file then merge it into the main scene, so there can
be many MDL files associated with a given project! <g>)

Just a thought... (as long as we're tossing around thoughts
anyway!<G>)

Charles

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 6 Dec 1999 10:18:50
Message: <384ed38d.2710167@194.174.214.110>
Hi Charles Fusner, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> I'd like to see a \Projects subdirectory added to the Moray
> directory, and support for automatic path/export switching added.
We've actually thought about that and also find that it's probably a
good idea, so you might see this in a future version (not the next
one, though).

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>