POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Ik Rocker Joint Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:37:36 EDT (-0400)
  Ik Rocker Joint (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Albert V Barnett 'Vernon'
Subject: Ik Rocker Joint
Date: 12 Jul 1999 21:39:42
Message: <378a98de@news.povray.org>
Here's the problem I have a rocker joint ie like a rocker in a valve head. I
want the two translate objects  to translate back and forth as i rock the
rocker back and forth.

 <|><====>

 <|><====>

 Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply to this message

From: Alexander Enzmann
Subject: Re: Ik Rocker Joint
Date: 13 Jul 1999 08:53:31
Message: <378B36DC.95644F@mitre.org>
I don't think you can do exactly what you want - the way Moray currently
handles IK, you can only set limits on the relative motion of an object
with respect to it's parent.

What I think you want to do is to allow a bar to rotate and have the
arms stay oriented the same way (appearing to slide back and forth).  To
get this effect, you need to counter-rotate the arms as the bar rotates.

It isn't possible to set limits on the orientation/position of an object
in world coordinates.  This type of constraint would be really useful.

Xander