POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Re: INFO: about ALICE Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:13:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: INFO: about ALICE (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Johannes Hubert
Subject: Re: INFO: about ALICE
Date: 10 Jan 1999 11:05:58
Message: <3698cfe6.0@news.povray.org>
Hassoun wrote in message <3698C656.1A26F8D1@sympatico.ca>...
[snip]

>it was developed by the university of virginia, then by carnegie mellon
>university. it uses the .MDL format, hence my question.

I think you need to distinguish between between "the" MDL *format* (which
probably doesn't exist anyway) and the file extension "MDL".
Moray uses (AFAIK) its own file-format, which happens to use the "MDL" file
extension.
Alice seems to use the same file extension for their format, but the two
formats have probably nothing in common.

Greetings,
Johannes.

Post a reply to this message

> >it was developed by the university of virginia, then by carnegie mellon
> >university. it uses the .MDL format, hence my question.
>
> I think you need to distinguish between between "the" MDL *format* (which
> probably doesn't exist anyway) and the file extension "MDL".
> Moray uses (AFAIK) its own file-format, which happens to use the "MDL" file
> extension.
> Alice seems to use the same file extension for their format, but the two
> formats have probably nothing in common.
>
> Greetings,
> Johannes.

  I have a commercial 3D rendering and modeling program called 3DPlus
that also uses the .mdl extention. It is not in anyway compatible with Moray.
It seems to be popular.

Raymond

Post a reply to this message

TurboCad also uses the .MDL extension for its 3D files. It is
different from the Moray format.

Stefan (USA)

On Sun, 10 Jan 1999 08:13:03 -0800, Raymond Tracing <Ray### [at] tracingorg>
wrote:

>Johannes Hubert wrote:
>
>> Hassoun wrote in message <3698C656.1A26F8D1@sympatico.ca>...
>> [snip]
>> >
>> >it was developed by the university of virginia, then by carnegie mellon
>> >university. it uses the .MDL format, hence my question.
>>
>> I think you need to distinguish between between "the" MDL *format* (which
>> probably doesn't exist anyway) and the file extension "MDL".
>> Moray uses (AFAIK) its own file-format, which happens to use the "MDL" file
>> extension.
>> Alice seems to use the same file extension for their format, but the two
>> formats have probably nothing in common.
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Johannes.
>
>  I have a commercial 3D rendering and modeling program called 3DPlus
>that also uses the .mdl extention. It is not in anyway compatible with Moray.
>It seems to be popular.
>
>Raymond

Post a reply to this message

I also have a early modelor/raytracer that uses the MDL extension: 3D
Design Plus 2.0 circa 1992. Maybe this is related to Raymonds 3D Plus.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe
=Bob

Post a reply to this message