POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POV-Ray help site : Re: POV-Ray help site Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:28:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray help site
From: Glen Berry
Date: 23 May 2000 02:32:30
Message: <lyAqOVi3puwKYvrZb9xVUvEESakj@4ax.com>
On 17 May 2000 20:40:53 -0400, "Doug Eichenberg" <dou### [at] nlsnet>
wrote:

>I'm considering the possibility of creating a POV-Ray help site and I want
>to get some feedback.  Basically, what I have in mind is a website with the
>following:
>
>1. All the text from the newsgroups.

I believe this is nearly impossible to do with complete legality. I
wouldn't even think of trying it. Unless I'm mistaken, you would need
the permission of all the original authors as well as the POV-Team, or
whoever actually owns this news server and all its content.

>2. All the tutorial text that's floating around on the net.

This is only slightly less complicated to obtain permission for. Why
not just add nice descriptive links on your site, taking you to all
those other tutorial texts? Be sure to link to the "front door" of
each of these sites, and not directly to select files within the site
- unless you have special permission to selectively link to only
certain files.

>3. All the example code floating around on the net.

My response to this is the same as my response to #2.

>4. A search function that accesses all of the above.

This would be okay, especially if the search engine links to all those
external sites with all the aforementioned content.

>5. Any good ideas that other people have.

I suggest either creating your *own* set of tutorials, example code,
etc - or simply catalog and link to the sites that exist already. A
central index of all things POV-Related could indeed be handy, but you
don't need to actually warehouse all the content yourself. It isn't
worth all the trouble.

You should also find a way to make your site unique, even if it is a
collection of links. Remember, Ken maintains a great collection of
links already. Personally, I wouldn't even think of starting this
project until I was satisfied I could provide something useful that
couldn't be obtained at any of the current sites.

Whatever you do, please don't place other people's comments or files
on your site without their permission.

Later,
Glen Berry

( Remove the "7" from 7no### [at] ezwvcom to email me. )