POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Collision detection : Re: Collision detection Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:17:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Collision detection
From: Peter Popov
Date: 6 Dec 2002 08:50:46
Message: <lca1vus6vh4dlt89ka3v6sjj2bsn163raf@4ax.com>
On 6 Dec 2002 07:36:09 -0500, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>  I think that the "big boys" of CG use programs which cost lot$ and lot$ of
>money for their animations with full collision detection of objects

Actually the big boys usually make the programs themselves. Many of
the world's leaders in physically based modeling are now employed in
such companies.

>(I suppose which are made of triangles or NURBS).

DNURBS seems to be the latest hype. It's a type of NURBS where the
same equations are used for modeling the shape and its dynamics. Very
clever... I believe Terzopoulos is behind it (again :) ).

>  And I suppose that even those programs can't calculate everything in
> real-time...

Not really realtime... However, most of the algorithms employed are
extremely well suited for parallelization, and you know what they
usually use in big productions :)

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg