POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POVRay and XML : Re: POVRay and XML Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:32:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay and XML
From: ABX
Date: 6 Jan 2005 03:12:47
Message: <l6spt0lpe76t20v524bkp5naifi490qfka@4ax.com>
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:35:34 -0800, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
> > But you would still have to compile the shader.
>
> I'm not following. Why would I need to compile it myself, any more than
> I need to compile POV-Ray myself? Why would compiling a shader be harder
> than compiling POV-Ray is today?

I have a feeling that what Christoph is referencing here is that current
functions engine can be compiled into so called machine code without any
external C/CPP compiler. AFAIK all is required is kind of table for
"translating" function virtual machine codes into cpu codes as (IIRC) it is
done for (some of) Macs.

4.5.1.1.2 Fast Functions
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/747/

ABX