POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POV-Ray help site : Re: POV-Ray help site Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:28:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray help site
From: Jerry
Date: 18 May 2000 11:03:38
Message: <jerry-E871A2.08033818052000@news.povray.org>
In article <lpc7isg25v4pa3gnrsjun348lo4jtk672q@4ax.com>, Peter Popov
<pet### [at] usanet> wrote:
>On 17 May 2000 20:40:53 -0400, "Doug Eichenberg" <dou### [at] nlsnet>
>wrote:
>>1. All the text from the newsgroups.
>
>This could pose copyright problems. Also, the text in these newsgroups
>is well over a hundred megabytes, where are you going to host that?

I'd say don't host it at all, just use PHP and contact news.povray.org,
perhaps caching the most popular requests automatically. I've
occasionally considered doing a "best of" page of news.povray.org this
way, but always decide that it's more fun to write basic tutorials.

I did do a CD-ROM of all newsgroup postings as of December 1998, I
think, before going on Christmas vacation that year. It was extremely
useful in learning POV, and a lot of fun. Very annoying getting POV to
work in an 8 Meg Windows 3.1/640/x480 setup!

Jerry