POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : A question about blobs : Re: A question about blobs Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:29:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question about blobs
From: Peter Popov
Date: 2 Jul 2000 00:17:10
Message: <j4gtls43ss3s8gga9neqp13aodnm9v6opd@4ax.com>
On Sat, 01 Jul 2000 22:58:10 -0400, Francois Labreque
<fla### [at] attglobalnet> wrote:

>I've been playing around with blobs to model a car and I am having a
>little problem with making them coincide properly.  The nose of the car
>is a succession of smaller cylindrical blob objects and no amount of
>playing with the radius or strength of the individual oblects will do
>away with the "Michelin man" appearance.  If you look at the reflection
>of the mountain, you'll see what I mean.
>
>Any ideas?  More blobs?  Bigger radii?  Stronger values?

Less blobs, larger radius, smaller strength, greater threshold. That's
how I solved the problem when it arose yesterday during the creation
of the twisted torus thingy. Basically, the lower the threshold and
the greater the strength, the less likely are the components to 'blob'
together and the more liable they are to jagging. Vice versa, when
they are of smaller strength (therefore requiring a larger radius to
compensate for that) and the threshold is higher, more components'
contributions are needed to overcome the threshold, causing them to
blob together.

I hope I made this clear enough, it's a little past 7 am and I am not
used to getting up so early so please forgive any oddities.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet