POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Re: IRTC statictics site Server Time
20 Apr 2024 10:42:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC statictics site (Message 7 to 16 of 16)
From: JC (Exether)
Subject: Re: IRTC statictics site
Date: 1 Mar 2004 02:09:37
Message: <4042e1b1$1@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:

> JC (Exether) wrote:
>
>> >  and have never gotten the HM for Concept.
>>You have (Slow Motion),
>

> Now I see how your rankings work; they're sort of different from the
> main site.  No problem.
It seems that I need to add some more information. Thank you for
pointing that out.

JC

--
http://exether.free.fr/irtc (more IRTC stats !)

Post a reply to this message

From: Txemi Jendrix
Date: 1 Mar 2004 15:27:17
Message: <40439ca5$1@news.povray.org>

> It seems that I need to add some more information. Thank you for
> pointing that out.

By the way I won a Technical merit medal in "Worlds within Worlds" round
(2/2002 Stills) not Tom Melly, who won the Artistic Merit medal (in your
site the artistic merit appears as won by Marjorie Graterol).
See you

Txemi Jendrix
http://www.txemijendrix.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Date: 1 Mar 2004 22:31:26
Message: <4044000e$1@news.povray.org>
A think an overview of the statistics is a great idea, and an
interesting challenge.  But it is not very clear to me what your site is
telling me.  The tracking of individuals, images, and of topics all
seems to be vying for attention.  Maybe some sort of graphs or charts
showing the profile of the data would help with understanding the
meaning of the display.  Or maybe just more detailed description of what
you intend to show.  Again I think it's a great idea but needs to be
taken a further.  The display of data in a meaningful way is not a
trivial task.  I have a pretty good understanding of the contest and who
the players are and I have a great deal of difficulty understanding what
is shown there.  I would definitely hesitate to refer the page to
someone unfamiliar with the contest.  Again, great idea, great
potential, needs further refinement imho.  The actual scores themselves,
as a comparative thing seem the least interesting to me.  I am more
interested in the people.  Who are the main players, win percentage, who
were the early leaders, who are the later ones.  What you are touching
on is the history of the contest itself.  I think you need to address
how the numbers show that history.

On a further note:

We have a distinct trend in fewer and fewer entrants it seems.  Yet
these newsgroups seem to be as lively as ever.  I can't keep up with all
the threads.  I wonder, can you analyte the data and see if there is any
trend in the number or percentage of new participants versus returning?
Say if you pick some threshold, for an individual's degree of
participation, does it peak and then wane?  Have regulars moved on?  Is
this a constant process or was there a bulge?  Does the data reveal
anything more about this trend?

-Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: JC (Exether)
Date: 1 Mar 2004 23:19:49
Message: <40440b65@news.povray.org>
Txemi Jendrix wrote:

>>It seems that I need to add some more information. Thank you for
>>pointing that out.
>

> By the way I won a Technical merit medal in "Worlds within Worlds" round
> (2/2002 Stills) not Tom Melly, who won the Artistic Merit medal (in your
> site the artistic merit appears as won by Marjorie Graterol).
> See you
>
> Txemi Jendrix
> http://www.txemijendrix.com

Thanks for pointing that out, the error is due to the fact I was wrong
in the award assignation order, it seems to be Concept award first them
Artistic and then Technical. It looks a bit weird, and I hope they used
the same order in every round, otherwise I'll have similar problems.
I correct it next update.

JC

From: JC (Exether)
Date: 2 Mar 2004 01:16:13
Message: <404426ad$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:
> A think an overview of the statistics is a great idea, and an
> interesting challenge.  But it is not very clear to me what your site is
> telling me.  The tracking of individuals, images, and of topics all
> seems to be vying for attention.  Maybe some sort of graphs or charts
> showing the profile of the data would help with understanding the
> meaning of the display.  Or maybe just more detailed description of what
> you intend to show.  Again I think it's a great idea but needs to be
> taken a further.  The display of data in a meaningful way is not a
> trivial task.  I have a pretty good understanding of the contest and who
> the players are and I have a great deal of difficulty understanding what
> is shown there.  I would definitely hesitate to refer the page to
> someone unfamiliar with the contest.  Again, great idea, great
> potential, needs further refinement imho.
Thanks for sharing this, I think I was not aware enough of that,
probably because I made the site so I know what everything is.
In a way the spaghetti structure of the site is on purpose, because it
is intended to let you browse the competition at will going from
artist's pages to theme then another artist, etc.
But obviously I have been too fast in the explanation, trying to make it
short because people usually don't bother reading too much on the net.
I need to seperate what is equivalent to what's on the IRTC site, like
theme's and rounds, and this yearly championship that I added and that
probably messes things up.
I'll work on clearing that up when I have time,

> The actual scores themselves,
> as a comparative thing seem the least interesting to me.  I am more
> interested in the people.
I had other people telling me that they were interested in more scores
statistics, my position is more intermediate, so I'll see.

> Who are the main players, win percentage, who
> were the early leaders, who are the later ones.  What you are touching
> on is the history of the contest itself.  I think you need to address
> how the numbers show that history.
The championship from start page is supposed to point out who the main
players are.

> On a further note:
>
> We have a distinct trend in fewer and fewer entrants it seems.  Yet
> these newsgroups seem to be as lively as ever.  I can't keep up with all
> the threads.  I wonder, can you analyte the data and see if there is any
> trend in the number or percentage of new participants versus returning?
> Say if you pick some threshold, for an individual's degree of
> participation, does it peak and then wane?  Have regulars moved on?  Is
> this a constant process or was there a bulge?  Does the data reveal
> anything more about this trend?
Interesting idea, I could have statistics about the number of new
entrants for each round or the average number of previous entries among
all entrants of a round.

JC

From: Jim Charter
Date: 2 Mar 2004 10:44:08
Message: <4044abc8$1@news.povray.org>
JC (Exether) wrote:

> [...]
>> that history.
>
> The championship from start page is supposed to point out who the main
> players are.
>
>> On a further note:
>>
>> We have a distinct trend in fewer and fewer entrants it seems.  Yet
>> these newsgroups seem to be as lively as ever.  I can't keep up with
>> all the threads.  I wonder, can you analyte the data and see if there
>> is any trend in the number or percentage of new participants versus
>> returning?
>> Say if you pick some threshold, for an individual's degree of
>> participation, does it peak and then wane?  Have regulars moved on?
>> Is this a constant process or was there a bulge?  Does the data reveal
>> anything more about this trend?
>
> Interesting idea, I could have statistics about the number of new
> entrants for each round or the average number of previous entries among

Really I was just trying to encourage you to push it.  I think it could
be a showcase site, more than just an aside.  Give you more "permission"
to indulge the idea if that's what jazzes you.  The championship points
idea is quite brilliant I think.  I could image other spin off contests
too.  Your site could be a place to retrospect leading participants or
certain entries too.

It was Nathan's entry for "School" that first galvanized my interest in POV.

Post a reply to this message

From: Shay
Date: 2 Mar 2004 11:12:34
Message: <4044b272$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message

| We have a distinct trend in fewer and fewer entrants it seems.  Yet
| these newsgroups seem to be as lively as ever.  I can't keep up with
| all the threads.  I wonder, can you analyte the data and see if there
| is any trend in the number or percentage of new participants versus
| returning? Say if you pick some threshold, for an individual's degree
| of participation, does it peak and then wane?  Have regulars moved on?
| Is this a constant process or was there a bulge?  Does the data reveal
| anything more about this trend?

The statistic in which I would be interested, although I doubt the
discovery of it could be automated, would be the percentage of entries
per round made with commercial software. This seems to be less a free
software competition and more an amateur commercial software competition
every round. This is just a feeling. I haven't taken the time to
actually count.

 -Shay

Post a reply to this message

From: JC (Exether)
Date: 2 Mar 2004 13:23:50
Message: <4044d136$1@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:
> "Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message
> |
> | We have a distinct trend in fewer and fewer entrants it seems.  Yet
> | these newsgroups seem to be as lively as ever.  I can't keep up with
> | all the threads.  I wonder, can you analyte the data and see if there
> | is any trend in the number or percentage of new participants versus
> | returning? Say if you pick some threshold, for an individual's degree
> | of participation, does it peak and then wane?  Have regulars moved on?
> | Is this a constant process or was there a bulge?  Does the data reveal
> | anything more about this trend?
> |

> The statistic in which I would be interested, although I doubt the
> discovery of it could be automated, would be the percentage of entries
> per round made with commercial software. This seems to be less a free
> software competition and more an amateur commercial software competition
> every round. This is just a feeling. I haven't taken the time to
> actually count.

I thought about this, but as you say it is not possible to automate
(parsing just the basic stuff was tough enough :-).

JC

From: JC (Exether)
Date: 2 Mar 2004 13:27:27
Message: <4044d20f$1@news.povray.org>
Txemi Jendrix wrote:

>>It seems that I need to add some more information. Thank you for
>>pointing that out.
>

> By the way I won a Technical merit medal in "Worlds within Worlds" round
> (2/2002 Stills) not Tom Melly, who won the Artistic Merit medal (in your
> site the artistic merit appears as won by Marjorie Graterol).
> See you
>
> Txemi Jendrix
> http://www.txemijendrix.com

Actually after checking more carefully there seem to be other problems
of the same type, and after some analysis it seems that the mention
awards are computed by hand rather than with algorithm. Or maybe the
rule changed. So I think I'll have to go and get the awards directly on
the site rather than recomputing them.

Hopefully things will stabilise soon, :-)

JC

From: JC (Exether)
Date: 5 Mar 2004 01:26:40
Message: <40481da0$1@news.povray.org>
Txemi Jendrix wrote:

>>It seems that I need to add some more information. Thank you for
>>pointing that out.
>

> By the way I won a Technical merit medal in "Worlds within Worlds" round
> (2/2002 Stills) not Tom Melly, who won the Artistic Merit medal (in your
> site the artistic merit appears as won by Marjorie Graterol).
> See you
>
> Txemi Jendrix
> http://www.txemijendrix.com

I corrected the problem, the awards are now taken directly from the IRTC
site, so they should be correct.

JC

--
http://exether.free.fr/irtc (more IRTC stats !)