POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Force???!!!??? Server Time
29 Apr 2024 15:13:53 EDT (-0400)
  Force???!!!??? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
Subject: Force???!!!???
Date: 3 Feb 2002 01:09:56
Message: <3c5cd434@news.povray.org>
Some days ago I downloaded almost all the submitted animations for the topic
"Force". I was surprised on how many people EVIDENTLY were working in
something totally unrelated to the topic and decided to invent a very
unconvincing explanation to be able to post their work in the contest.

I found it very annoying to spend too much bandwidth/time/money in those
animations. Future contestants: Please be ethical and don't post your
current work if it was never inspired on that topic.

On the other hand, the ones that DID have something to do with the topic,
Force, were very very interesting and awe-inspiring, especially the one of
gravity and the planets... Very well done. I can't remember who did that
one, but it was really nice.

Fernando.

Post a reply to this message

> Some days ago I downloaded almost all the submitted animations for the
> topic "Force". I was surprised on how many people EVIDENTLY were
> working in something totally unrelated to the topic and decided to
> invent a very unconvincing explanation to be able to post their work
> in the contest.
>
> I found it very annoying to spend too much bandwidth/time/money in
> those animations. Future contestants: Please be ethical and don't post
> your current work if it was never inspired on that topic.
>
> On the other hand, the ones that DID have something to do with the
> topic, Force, were very very interesting and awe-inspiring, especially
> the one of gravity and the planets... Very well done. I can't remember
> who did that one, but it was really nice.

When I judge an animation, I watch it prior to reading the accompanying
test file, and with the sound off.  If I can't figure out that is going
on in the animation, I award a 1 for the concept score.  If I can't
understand the relationship between the action I see and the topic, I
award from 2 to 5.

Be that as it may, sometimes the animations run on different meanings
of the topic phrase.  For example, I took Force as "the Force" as
referred to in the Star Wars movies, and went with that idea.  I put
the subtitle in there so that it would be obvious.

Regards,
John
--
ICQ: 46085459

Date: 4 Feb 2002 16:36:47
Message: <3c5efeef@news.povray.org>
> When I judge an animation, I watch it prior to reading the accompanying
> test file, and with the sound off.  If I can't figure out that is going
> on in the animation, I award a 1 for the concept score.  If I can't
> understand the relationship between the action I see and the topic, I
> award from 2 to 5.
>
> Be that as it may, sometimes the animations run on different meanings
> of the topic phrase.  For example, I took Force as "the Force" as
> referred to in the Star Wars movies, and went with that idea.  I put
> the subtitle in there so that it would be obvious.
>
> Regards,
> John

Hi John,

Yes, I did see the relationship between your animation and the topic, and I
found it very original. Later, I saw several of the "Spirit of Asia" final
images. This time I was surprised that there were very few off-topic
submissions, and most of all the images I saw were very high quality work.
Is it always the same with the animation contest?

Fernando.

Post a reply to this message

> Yes, I did see the relationship between your animation and the topic,
> and I found it very original. Later, I saw several of the "Spirit of
> Asia" final images. This time I was surprised that there were very few
> off-topic submissions, and most of all the images I saw were very high
> quality work.
>
> Is it always the same with the animation contest?

Apparently it takes much more work to produce an animation, and
consequently there are fewer entries, and fewer instances of off-
topic work.  The overall quality of the animation portion of the IRTC
had been improving, although some of that is due to the increased use
of commercial modelers.

Regards,
John
--