POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Where have all the POVers gone? Server Time
29 Apr 2024 15:34:31 EDT (-0400)
  Where have all the POVers gone? (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: John VanSickle
Subject: Where have all the POVers gone?
Date: 19 Jul 2001 12:15:35
Message: <3B57098D.E37B9BD6@erols.com>
13 entries this round.

4 use POV-Ray.

1 uses Blender.

The other eight all use some $$$ renderer.

What gives?

Regards,
John
--
ICQ: 46085459

Post a reply to this message

From: Roberto Ferrer de Amorim
Subject: Re: Where have all the POVers gone?
Date: 19 Jul 2001 13:05:14
Message: <3b57134a@news.povray.org>
Well, I used to be a POVer, but now I'm more into Blender, specially for
animations... scanline renderers are much faster, and thus make you much
more productive. That explains also the $$$ renderers you mentioned.
If I want (or need) raytracing, I'd still use POV for simple raytraced
images, but if things get more complicated, I'd go with BMRT. Or maybe
LightFlow (although I don't think lightflow is a true/dedicated raytracer
like POV).

I guess that with the long render times raytraced animations (with POV,
BMRT, Virtualight and others) become unfeasible for most users.

I know you asked first, but what do *you* think of it? What might be the
reason?

Best regards,

Roberto "Wolfox" Amorim

> 13 entries this round.
>
> 4 use POV-Ray.
>
> 1 uses Blender.
>
> The other eight all use some $$$ renderer.
>
> What gives?
>
> Regards,
> John
> --