POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Network rendering with POVRay Server Time
13 Jun 2024 19:31:14 EDT (-0400)
  Network rendering with POVRay (Message 1 to 5 of 5)  
From: Sebastian Breier
Subject: Network rendering with POVRay
Date: 3 Apr 1999 11:45:10
Message: <370644db.18204353@news.povray.org>
Hi!

If you have more than one PC at home/work and want to let POVRay
render over the whole network you'll perhaps want my program Exizt. It
distributes the frames of the animation so the PCs in the windows
network. After a frame has finished, it is moved to one central PC.
Imagine how your animation renderings could be accelerated!

If you want the program, write an eMail to Seb### [at] Stb-Citynetde.

Bye,
	Sebastian.


Post a reply to this message

From: The Entity
Subject: Re: Network rendering with POVRay
Date: 14 May 1999 07:45:19
Message: <373bfebf.0@news.povray.org>
Hi all (my first message here)
a great place to get info and benchmarks on network rendering is of course
is at povbench http://www.haveland.com/povbench/ there's a great link called
home supercomputing with linux you should check out


Post a reply to this message

From: Mark Wagner
Subject: Re: Network rendering with POVRay
Date: 19 May 1999 01:02:23
Message: <374237cf.0@news.povray.org>
Sebastian Breier wrote in message <370644db.18204353@news.povray.org>...
>Hi!
>
>If you have more than one PC at home/work and want to let POVRay
>render over the whole network you'll perhaps want my program Exizt. It
>distributes the frames of the animation so the PCs in the windows
>network. After a frame has finished, it is moved to one central PC.
>Imagine how your animation renderings could be accelerated!
>
>If you want the program, write an eMail to Seb### [at] Stb-Citynetde.


Of course, you don't get much acceleration when you distribute the rendering
over a 400Mhz Pentium II, a 486SX33, a 33Mhz 68040 without FPU, a Commodore
64 and a TRS 80.  (That's what I've got -- I do the renderings on the
Pentium II)

Mark


Post a reply to this message

From: Jon Brisbin
Subject: Re: Network rendering with POVRay
Date: 22 Apr 2000 12:09:05
Message: <3901CE6F.480D5617@ipa.net>
Mark Wagner wrote:
> 
> Of course, you don't get much acceleration when you distribute the rendering
> over a 400Mhz Pentium II, a 486SX33, a 33Mhz 68040 without FPU, a Commodore
> 64 and a TRS 80.  (That's what I've got -- I do the renderings on the
> Pentium II)
> 

No, for the best performance you need machines that are similar in
performace BUT you can get improvments even on the equipment you
listed.  It would be tough to set it up, but it works awesome! :-)

I use pvmpov (link on the povray.org links page) and it works
*great*...  I have a 333 cyrix with 96MB of ram which is my main
development machine, a 200 pentium with 64MB, and a 75 pentium laptop
with 40MB.  I rum PVM on all three and I can bench the skyvase image in
~1.5 depending on the size of the chunk I send to each machine...which
is not incredible, but MUCH better than the 3.45 it takes on the 333
under linux (windows version takes 4 minutes and something ;-)

Jon Brisbin


Post a reply to this message

From: Mark Wagner
Subject: Re: Network rendering with POVRay
Date: 24 Apr 2000 00:38:03
Message: <3903cfab@news.povray.org>
Jon Brisbin wrote in message <3901CE6F.480D5617@ipa.net>...
>Mark Wagner wrote:
>>
>> Of course, you don't get much acceleration when you distribute the
rendering
>> over a 400Mhz Pentium II, a 486SX33, a 33Mhz 68040 without FPU, a
Commodore
>> 64 and a TRS 80.  (That's what I've got -- I do the renderings on the
>> Pentium II)
>>
>
>No, for the best performance you need machines that are similar in
>performace BUT you can get improvments even on the equipment you
>listed.  It would be tough to set it up, but it works awesome! :-)


Did you take a serious look at the computers I have listed?  The Commodore
64 and TRS 80 are comperable in power to modern graphing calculators and
neither the 486 or the 040 has the ability to do floating-point math.
Judging from the PovBench listings, those two would take 20 to 40 hours to
render SkyVase.

Mark


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.