POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Network rendering with POVRay : Re: Network rendering with POVRay Server Time
27 Jul 2024 08:05:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Network rendering with POVRay
From: Jon Brisbin
Date: 22 Apr 2000 12:09:05
Message: <3901CE6F.480D5617@ipa.net>
Mark Wagner wrote:

> Of course, you don't get much acceleration when you distribute the rendering
> over a 400Mhz Pentium II, a 486SX33, a 33Mhz 68040 without FPU, a Commodore
> 64 and a TRS 80.  (That's what I've got -- I do the renderings on the
> Pentium II)

No, for the best performance you need machines that are similar in
performace BUT you can get improvments even on the equipment you
listed.  It would be tough to set it up, but it works awesome! :-)

I use pvmpov (link on the povray.org links page) and it works
*great*...  I have a 333 cyrix with 96MB of ram which is my main
development machine, a 200 pentium with 64MB, and a 75 pentium laptop
with 40MB.  I rum PVM on all three and I can bench the skyvase image in
~1.5 depending on the size of the chunk I send to each machine...which
is not incredible, but MUCH better than the 3.45 it takes on the 333
under linux (windows version takes 4 minutes and something ;-)

Jon Brisbin