POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Network rendering with POVRay : Re: Network rendering with POVRay Server Time
27 Jul 2024 08:02:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Network rendering with POVRay
From: Mark Wagner
Date: 24 Apr 2000 00:38:03
Message: <3903cfab@news.povray.org>
Jon Brisbin wrote in message <3901CE6F.480D5617@ipa.net>...
>Mark Wagner wrote:
>>
>> Of course, you don't get much acceleration when you distribute the
rendering
>> over a 400Mhz Pentium II, a 486SX33, a 33Mhz 68040 without FPU, a
Commodore
>> 64 and a TRS 80.  (That's what I've got -- I do the renderings on the
>> Pentium II)
>>

>No, for the best performance you need machines that are similar in
>performace BUT you can get improvments even on the equipment you
>listed.  It would be tough to set it up, but it works awesome! :-)

Did you take a serious look at the computers I have listed?  The Commodore
64 and TRS 80 are comperable in power to modern graphing calculators and
neither the 486 or the 040 has the ability to do floating-point math.
Judging from the PovBench listings, those two would take 20 to 40 hours to
render SkyVase.

Mark