POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Morphing example : Re: Morphing example Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:23:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Morphing example
From: Peter Popov
Date: 6 Aug 2002 16:21:22
Message: <iab0lu85csrh5bu73phj0psu28hqt74660@4ax.com>
On Tue, 06 Aug 2002 19:48:48 +0100, Fidel viegas
<fid### [at] artrecognitioncouk> wrote:

>Hi guys, i'm trying to morph two objects and I was wondering if anyone knows
>of a tutorial that shows how to morph two objects, let's say morphing a box
>into a sphere, something like that. (just to have an idea.)

POV-Ray doesn't support morphing directly. In order to morph between
two objects, they have to be discretized into small finite-accuracy
entities such as triangles, polygons, NURBS etc, and in POV, objects
are mathematical entities described by equations and functions, so
morphing between them is rather hard.

For the case of morphing between a sphere and a box, you have several

1) meshes or patches
2) isosurfaces
3) superellipsoids

The latter two are rather easy to do, with the third one yielding the
best result, but a) it can not represent a cube perfectly well and b)
it is limited to the shapes a superellipsoid can take. 2) is a nice
choice in general but it is more along the lines of cross-dissolving
rather than true morphing (i.e. no true warping is performed). 1) is
required for that, but it's rather hard to do.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg