POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Collision with energy loss : Re: Sliding / flowing Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:19:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sliding / flowing
From: Scott Moore
Date: 27 May 2002 09:18:20
Message: <h5c4fu8s3k3cui0knjqksimon4l9j751bi@4ax.com>
On Mon, 27 May 2002 14:39:07 +0200, "Rune"
<run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote:

<snip>

>When a particle hits a surface with a big incoming angle, it should
>bounce, but after some bounces it should eventually begin to slide (or
>flow if you want). But if the outcoming angle is always perpendicular to
>the incoming angle, then the sliding will never occur, and the particle
>will just continue making smaller and smaller bounces until the bounces
>get insignificantly small. That is not realistic.

<snip>

I reckon the smaller and smaller bounces idea is correct - if you've
ever seen a small ball bearing bounce on a horizontal piece of glass
it seems to bounce many many times getting smaller and smaller until
it stops bouncing. Also, think about those Newton's Cradle executive
toys ... you know, the ones with 5 or 6 ball bearing suspended in a
line - they bounce for ages.

Scott