POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Saturation : Re: Saturation Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:27:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Saturation
From: Mike Williams
Date: 5 May 2005 08:58:33
Message: <gGwLeBAGhheCFw3Z@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it scott who wrote:
>Orchid XP wrote:
>>
>> OK, those clouds would probably give POV-Ray a real headache, but how
>> do they get the colours so good? Maybe I just suck at this...
>
>I always find a good way is to use the color-picker tool to get RGB values
>from photos, then use them in POV ;-)

When I want to grab loads of colours from something like a cloudscape I
convert the image to a GIF, load it into IrfanView and export the
palette in PAL format.

In PAL format you get an ascii file with three lines of junk, then a
list of the RGB values of each palette entry. If you tweak the file by
inserting commas everywhere, you can #read the data with POV, divide by
255 and populate a colour_map.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure