POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Re: Expanded Steel : Re: Expanded Steel Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Expanded Steel
From: David Wilkinson
Date: 9 Nov 2000 07:19:32
Message: <g34l0t0kh0p22oms3qq14fipkp9vjjsbak@4ax.com>
On Sun, 05 Nov 2000 16:50:50 -0500, Chris Huff <chr### [at] maccom> wrote:

>In article <cmbb0tk5fvv2rqgr9lkto2jgjs6on5r3t7@4ax.com>, Defective
><def### [at] homecom> wrote:
>
>> Anybody ever render a scene with expanded steel in it?
>>
>> I've been combining 2 of my favorite pasttimes.  I'm trying to render
>> images of the parts I'm building for my truck and I've got all the
>> parts worked out except the expanded steel in my head rack...
>>
>> It's gotta be doable, I'm just lost...

I have developed an isosurface that can be used to model a mesh and have posted
a test image in p.b.i. The source is in p.b.scene-files.
In this image I have used basically the same function for the brick surfaces,
the tiled floor and the mesh.

Recently I posted an image of a brick wall using a <sin> function to get the
periodicity, when Jerome Berger pointed out to me that the isosurface mod
function is <%>.  Since then I have used the mod function to develop a more
versatile and simpler isosurface for  embossed rectangular pattern surfaces
(i.e. brick walls :-).  The diamond mesh just uses this embossing to go right
through a thin planar isosurface to produce a square mesh, that I then rotated
and squashed on one axis to give a reasonable approximation to expanded steel.

David
dav### [at] hamiltonitecom
http://hamiltonite.com/