POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Rendering a portion of an image to an output file doesnt quite work? : Re: Rendering a portion of an image to an output file doesnt quite work? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:28:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering a portion of an image to an output file doesnt quite work?
From: ABX
Date: 9 Dec 2003 05:30:04
Message: <g18btvchobask7d7tvdguslk1pmkarig8c@4ax.com>
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 01:58:38 -0000, "Chris Johnson" <chr### [at] chris-jcouk>
wrote:
> Even so, putting the rendered part of the image where it would appear if the
> full image had been rendered would not require any more memory or additional
> information in the image file

But would require to manually specify to external processes where rendered
part starts. Having only important rows makes it easy to glue list of images.

> I have no problem with exporting a full size image with the
> unrendered parts in black, but I still don't see the circumstance in which
> having the part of the image that is rendered shifted by some amount is more
> useful than having it in its original position.

I see it that way: You are probably GUI oriented with thinking that you can
everything see, everything click, everything select, everything control trough
dialog boxes. You have to remember that POV-Ray is mature, over 10 years old
universal engine and a few persons used and still use it from command line to
operate on render farm from one console. Then rendered parts are glued into
resulting image using some single command line like:

  join_images image1.png+image2.png+image3.png > image.png

Do you imagine how difficoult it would be to maintain coordinates for every
prerendered part by hand for such command line ?

ABX