POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Tech Question: How does POV's focal_blur operate? : Re: Tech Question: How does POV's focal_blur operate? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:24:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tech Question: How does POV's focal_blur operate?
From: Peter Popov
Date: 23 May 2002 19:27:10
Message: <fbuqeu4jqlr4pgvg6f98ot73chaj9g7fuo@4ax.com>
On Wed, 22 May 2002 02:08:49 -0400, Glen Berry <7no### [at] ezwvcom>
wrote:

>I want to know exactly how this feature functions, in a conceptual
>sense. Does anyone know the exact details?

I thought it was explained in the docs but anyway...

Basically, instead of shooting a single ray per pixel, POV shoots a
bunch (that's way regular anti-aliasing is disabled when FB is used).
These rays are scattered more when getting farther from the focal
point. Statistical analysis (confidence and variance) is used to avoid
shooting unnecessary rays. The result is finally averaged.

That's pretty much about it. Hope it makes some sense (it might as
well not, it's 2:24 am here)

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg