POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Turning squares into a smooth isosurface : Re: Turning squares into a smooth isosurface Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:24:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Turning squares into a smooth isosurface
From: ABX
Date: 10 Apr 2003 02:21:22
Message: <f91a9v40mae692tpohmiaha5dg92al80l8@4ax.com>
On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 17:17:09 -0400, Christopher James Huff
<cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> "The state, quality, sense, or fact of being near or next; closeness:"
>
> Look up "closeness":
> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=closeness
>
> "immediate nearness"
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=nearness
>
> Nothing about being blurred, smoothed, or fuzzed out. It's all about
> distance, viewed as how near something is rather than how far it is.

I think you misunderstand me. My understanding is that proximity (closeness,
nearness) can be any function which is growing in direction to nearest point of
object. Not necessary linear like distance returned from intersection test. I do
not exclude distance, just allow other characteristics to express that something
is more near. That's why I'm looking for reference where it is stated that in
mathematical english proximity _is_ linear distance. In 'closeness' definition
you reffered I see "the spatial property resulting from a relatively small
distance;". Two things I see in this definition: 1) closeness is not distance
but can be function of it and 2) value of closeness in distace 'far' is the same
like in 'far*2' because only small values are considered. Output of my macro in
both forms (released (with blur) and not released (with distance measurement))
in my understanding fits in this definition. Please note I did not blured any
image, just monochrome pattern received from object cross-section. So what I
need? I need reference from you where is written that there is a convention in
3D computer graphics (or in 3D geometry in general) that 'proximity' is used to
name only function which results linear distance between given point and nearest
point of given object. Can you provide me such a reference?

> > > If you did something like
> > > one of those, it was a proximity function
> > > (...)
> > > But it has nothing to do with proximity.
> > Hmmm. Two different opinions about the same usage of f_r().
> For two different uses.

It seems we differently splited text in my paragraph. I have no idea how to
avoid it without useless discussion about understanding.

ABX