POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : saving radiosity data : Re: saving radiosity data Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:29:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: saving radiosity data
From: Peter Popov
Date: 29 Nov 2001 08:59:06
Message: <e9fc0uk9qv4e2agcp2ee8dff51iq8r8a0g@4ax.com>
On Thu, 29 Nov 2001 07:43:40 +0100, "Apache"
<apa### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

>According to POV-Ray Help it is not a good idea to save and load radiosity
>data with 'save_file' and 'load_file' if scene objects are moving. I'm
>wondering if this includes the camera. Can I reuse the radiosity data after
>only moving the camera position?
>
>If so, I can safe lotsa time with animations only involving the camera
>position.

The algorithm POV-Ray uses for global illumination does not calculate
diffuse interreflections for the whole scenes, as do true radiosity
renderers such as Radiance. It only calculates and stores what it
needs considering the camera field of vision. The result? Well, what
you're asking for is generally impossible.

There may be a workaround in some cases, though.

Imagine a room lit by a light bulb. The bulb is places so that it
illuminates most of the room directly, and radiosity will take care of
the rest. In other words, any point in the room is a ray "hop" or two
away from the light source. Therefore, you may place a spherical
camera coinciding with the light source and save the radiosity data,
then reuse it in a "fly around" or "turn around" type of animation. If
you use very high quality settings to gather radiosity data, it might
just work.

I haven't tested it but I intend to when I finish model ling my
current scene.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg