POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : megapov post-process question : Re: megapov post-process question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: megapov post-process question
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 21 Feb 2006 04:40:03
Message: <dten12$iv4$1@chho.imagico.de>
Tek wrote:
> I have a problem, I want to render a scene on 2 different machines, but I'm
> using megapov's post-processing. The idea would be I render the scene
> normally on the first machine and upside down on the second machine, then
> stop it when there's a decent overlap, but megapov's post processing won't
> run if I stop the render!
>
> So, does anyone know of a way to persuade megapov's post processing to run
> on a partial render?

No.  What you could however do (although this is a really scary hack) is
to create a dummy 'first half' render using an empty scene, interrupt it
and use it for initializing a continued trace of your actual scene.  Do
the actual render of the first half on the second machine, interrupt it
and continue it with the empty scene to finish and post process.

And finally put the two halfs together (AFAIK common interpretation of
the IRTC rules does not consider this to be illegal post processing if
you don't actually alter the image).

You will have to make sure you work with sufficient overlap between the
two parts when you use a non-local post processing (like blur).

And i have no idea if post processing can actually be combined with
continued trace without problems.

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 31 Oct. 2005)