POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : format of hf_gray_16 .bmp files? : Re: format of hf_gray_16 .bmp files? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:25:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: format of hf_gray_16 .bmp files?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 7 Jul 2005 16:20:01
Message: <dak2g9$e9p$1@chho.imagico.de>
Mike Williams wrote:

> It says that you can use a PPM file as a 16-bit height field, but you
> have to use a PGM file (and the syntax is "height_field pgm filename").

You can use a PPM file in a height_field,

height_field {
   ppm "test.ppm"
}

works for any valid PPM - of course not for a PGM.

> It says that +fp outputs a PPM file, but if hf_gray_16 is active the
> output is a PGM file with an incorrect extension.

That's right.

> I don't think that there's any way that someone could guess the correct
> way to use PGM hf_gray_16 files by reading the documentation.

What's unclear about the use of PGMs? - you can use them in
heightfields, image maps and elsewhere just like any other image file
format supported.

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 01 Jul. 2005)