POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : format of hf_gray_16 .bmp files? : Re: format of hf_gray_16 .bmp files? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:34:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: format of hf_gray_16 .bmp files?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 7 Jul 2005 13:00:02
Message: <dajn1h$btt$1@chho.imagico.de>
Ralph Smith wrote:

> I don't understand."image.pov created image.bmp. Image.pov contains
>
> global_settings {
> 	assumed_gamma 2.2
> 	hf_gray_16
> }
>
> There is no image.tga.

You can find how to specify the file format to generate on

http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/219/

> But I would still like to be able to create hf_gray_16 files externally. It sounds
like the format
> of such .tga files might not be documented.

You can find the file format specifications for PGM on:

http://netpbm.sourceforge.net/doc/pgm.html

I would be really astonished if you could find a similarly complete
specification for the BMP format.  As i have said a lot recently using
BMP as an image file format is rarely a good idea (no matter if for
renders or for heightfield data).

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 01 Jul. 2005)