POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Radiosity : Re: Radiosity Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:30:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 8 Dec 2004 11:45:02
Message: <cp7arm$qmv$1@chho.imagico.de>
George Pantazopoulos wrote:

> Later when this sample is a candidate for reuse, these statistics are used
> to calculate the effective radius of the sample to see how reusable it is.
> The optimized sample set used by default has fewer rays as the angle to the
> normal gets larger. This means that low-lying objects near a sample point
> can get missed by the gather rays. The effect of this would be a too-large
> radius of reuse, resulting in artefacts.

The non-uniform density of samples is not specific to the precomputed
sample set, you would also use that when using random directions.  I
don't think the effect you describe is a common source of artefacts but
if you have an example for it i'd be interested.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______