POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : opposite direction of a surface. : Re: opposite direction of a surface. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: opposite direction of a surface.
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 12 Nov 2003 23:59:19
Message: <cjameshuff-ED4698.23563512112003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <mat### [at] netplexaussieorg>,
 Matthew Pace <mat### [at] lycoscom> wrote:

> Is there another way to do question 1?  I am asking becuase I am
> creating my own fur macros  (for the experience and bragging rights),
> and using trace() seems like a hassle because of all the times I would
> have to adjust the start vector.  Any other suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.

Your objection doesn't really make any sense. You have to sample
multiple points anyway. There's no way to get the normal at a point
without that point.
Or do you already have a point on the surface of the object? In that
case, if the object is simple enough, you can just figure it out from
the type of object and the point. For example, the normal at a point on
the surface of a sphere is that point minus the center of the sphere.
This is a far less general solution, since you have to figure it out for
the specific object you're using, and that can sometimes be very
difficult. It also requires you to already have a point on the surface
of the object.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/