POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Object Oriented POV code : Re: Object Oriented POV code Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:25:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Object Oriented POV code
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 22 Feb 2004 18:14:04
Message: <cjameshuff-ECDCA2.18144622022004@news.povray.org>
In article <40392ffb@news.povray.org>, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
wrote:

> Christopher James Huff wrote:
> > Oh? Objective C doesn't have anything called virtual functions.
>
> They're not called that, but that's the effect. Messages are dynamically
> dispatched to the appropriate method.

It's more than a different name for the same thing. Virtual functions
are just function calls that are looked up at run-time through a virtual
function table. Message lookup is based on a message selector that is
itself a piece of data the program can manipulate. You can forward
messages that you can't handle, for instance. You can even send them to
objects on other machines. The overhead is higher, but surprisingly low.
Virtual functions are just a specific implementation detail, not a core
requirement for object oriented languages.

> I've found it useful to learn a bunch of different languages, if only to
> understand useful paradigms, even if I never obtain a compiler for them.

I agree. If you don't keep learning new things, you'll end up being
unable to.

BTW, have you ever looked at Dylan?

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>