POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : JPG-output with povray for windows v3.5 : Re: JPG-output with povray for windows v3.5 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:17:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPG-output with povray for windows v3.5
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 20 Feb 2004 13:38:11
Message: <cjameshuff-E11E6F.13384920022004@news.povray.org>
In article <40355f97$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Tim Nikias v2.0" <tim.nikias (@) nolights.de> wrote:

> Well, for one, I can use BMP directly as wallpaper on my Windows OS.

And as I recall, Windows only accepts BMP files for this, right?
Stupid...Mac OS allows anything QuickTime can open: JPEG, PNG, GIF,
TIFF, etc.

> I don't
> need more than the 24bit it comes with, that's another. And, most of the
> time, the image gets converted to JPG anyway, either for posting on these
> very newsgroups that I've got open and running almost every hour my PC is
> running, or for my website. Only seldomly do I need other formats, like for
> a book publishing. And even then, 24bit was sufficient so far.

But the smaller file size isn't a benefit?

> But I've never really understood that gamma issue with PNGs... How exactly
> does it work, and how is it supposed to work? I've heard that it stores the
> gamma value it has been made with, and a viewing app would adjust the gamma
> to compensate for different screens, but does it really work?

That's what it does, and it does work...if the software displaying the
PNG handles the gamma value. I don't know how common that is...

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/