POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Fast blurred reflection? : Re: Fast blurred reflection? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:30:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fast blurred reflection?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 6 Oct 2003 14:23:45
Message: <cjameshuff-E0765E.14211706102003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3f7dd3f1@news.povray.org>,
 "Chris Johnson" <chr### [at] chris-jcouk> wrote:

> What's the difference between using the blurred reflection code in
> _Light_Beam_'s link and rendering an animation with a single texture
> level on the object, and averaging the output images?

Well, that method will trace many single paths. The paths do not split
with this method. It could possibly be used to get good results with
fewer rays. With the usual method, most of the rays are at a fairly deep
recursion, and don't contribute as much. The primary problem that makes
blurred reflection slow is the exponential explosion of rays traced when
you get multiple levels of reflection.

What you propose is similar to another raytracing algorithm I've read
about where a single path is always traced. When a surface with
reflection and transparency is encountered, where a conventional
raytracer would split into two rays, just one of the paths is chosen. To
get the pixel color, many of these samples are added together. If you
have deep recursion and/or large numbers of samples, this can greatly
reduce the total number of rays traced.

> I'm sure this method must have been thought of before - is there any
> reason why it should be inferior in accuracy than using multiple
> layers of texture?

It is inferior in accuracy, but mainly due to the fact that images have
limited precision. You should be able to get good results in most cases,
with fewer rays cast than in a simplistic "cast a bunch of rays" blur
algorithm, but a smarter version of that algorithm might do even better.
The main problem is that it is a bit awkward and inefficient to render
whole frames and then process them together.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/